Author Topic: Wind32:Malware-gen  (Read 2786 times)

Offline badass

Wind32:Malware-gen
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:54:57 PM »
Can someone please help me with this.  I don't even think it is Malware, and disappointed avast believes that it is.  After denying avast put it into the Virus Chest, avast then asks me to do a Boot-time scan, so I do.  This was unneeded imo, and then it put the supposed malware to the Virus Chest anyhow.

My first issue is that I cannot even access the Virus Logs in "Virus Chest"?  Looked in C: Files under avast but no where to be found, and in the gui?

So, is this actually malware?

If it is not, how do I find it and return it to it's rightful file?

I did a search here for the name of the supposed virus but could not understand the links provided.

The product in question is LiLi LiveUSB Creator here:
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

It has a Virtualization tool included and that is where the infections was.  I also scanned this download with Malwarebytes before executing it.

Thanks

Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Wind32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »
My first issue is that I cannot even access the Virus Logs in "Virus Chest"?
correct, you find no log in virus chest ... you find quarantined files

all AV vendors have a FAQ section with lots of info   https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB21#artTitle

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline badass

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »
Just lost my freaking post!  Having a bad day.  Thanks for the link, I still struggle with accessing virustotal in the proper way to check files.  Have done it before, and Browsed my system with it successfully.  So how did you do this?

Pondus would you please advise me?

How do I get to the Virus Chest quarantined files?

How do I get to the Virus Logs?

If I leave those files/addware in the virus chest will it allow the software to work still.  I like the software but if it is going to cause problems I will attempt to Uninstall.

Will avast delete the files after a certain time?

I will look at the faq.

Dell 660S, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i3 3240, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Avast Free

Offline badass

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »
That's a very good FAQ! thanks.  I usually have to read through hours of junk just to find one thing I want.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:26:32 AM »
<snip>
How do I get to the Virus Chest quarantined files?

How do I get to the Virus Logs?

If I leave those files/addware in the virus chest will it allow the software to work still.  I like the software but if it is going to cause problems I will attempt to Uninstall.

Will avast delete the files after a certain time?
<snip>

1. Right click the avast tray icon, select Virus Chest.

2. This rather depends on what made the detection ? - Most logs files will be in the Shield Logs - C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report folder. If the were detected by an on-demand scan then go to the avastUI > Scan > Scan for viruses - at the bottom of that window - Scan History.

3. Files in the virus chest can't be assessed from outside and is the only copy - so programs/malware can't use them.

4. No they will remain in the virus chest until you either manually delete (or restore) them - when avast is uninstalled then all files in the chest will also be removed (deleted).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline badass

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:28:13 AM »
@DavidR, thanks!  I love avast really just get frustrated with this computer stuff sometimes, you know all about that I'm sure lol.  The FAQ is so good I am very pleased.  I will have to use that program a few times and see if it works without the addware.  In fact I don't even use the part of the software that the addware came in.  I will have to get info from that site if I have any issues.  Just glad that I got help here and pretty sure that this is just Addware that won't cause me any issues, and never had any after the install anyhow.  Avast is still the best Free and otherwise best AV out there!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
You're welcome.

Yes, you just get used to something and someone decides to change it ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security