Author Topic: Strange thing with my PC...  (Read 19351 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Strange thing with my PC...
« on: December 11, 2005, 08:38:22 PM »
Hello all. I've got a strange things going on here last hour. At first Gereric host process for win32 services asked for outgoing connection. I've denied it with rule "always deny". I've started to see this message (see below). Scanned my system with Dr.Web standalone scanner CureIt. My system seems to be clean. Tried to search the net for Goldstream... Nothing... Feel strange when I don't know what is going on with my system... Any commens will be appreciated.  ;)

Also avast mail scanner ask for connection and I "recieve" some kind of email.... sent to adminz.zone @ gmail.com not for me...  It was twice today. moreover, I have no pop3 programs configured to work apart MS Outlook. avast scanner starts just like that...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 08:48:27 PM by =YLAP= »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Strange thing with my PC...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:08:13 PM »
ok, it's third time during two hours avast mail scanner acts strange... again the same email wich, is not in my pc... I'm totaly messed!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 09:14:47 PM by =YLAP= »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:16:45 PM »
Denied avast mail scanner to connect the net... Again goldstream error... That a shit is it????  >:( And how to remove it, if I can't find anything!

neal62

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 10:21:25 PM »
Ylap,

There may be a Internet problem going on right now that is causing your problems? Different URLs here in the U.S.A. are very slow today when trying to access them. I have been experiencing this for the past several hours at home on my pc there and now at work on the pc at work. Not sure if this might be your problem but it could be some of it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22:47 PM »
ok, it's third time during two hours avast mail scanner acts strange... again the same email wich, is not in my pc... I'm totaly messed!
This seems to be related with email account hijack...

At first Gereric host process for win32 services asked for outgoing connection ... gmail.com
Well, some Google services, specially Google Desktop needs some 'special' connections when you're not online.
Certainly the outbound connection is not that strange than inbound one. Mine, inbound, are always denied.
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »
I know, I let all "green" Kerio alerts to connect, but what a * is Goldstream, if even kaspersky online says everything is ok. It gives me error messages even i'm not online, so it's inside my pc. it's for sure. Why he connects via avast mail scanner, why he recieves some kind of mail, which avast says to be clean but it's saved to nowhere, besides, these words of subject and to is ugly words (if translated from russian which in this case is written by english letters). I have a headache already. Again new connection to the same point!  >:( >:( >:( >:( I'm afraid of worst - I have something really new, and no av's can detect it at the moment. And I know that some kind of strange things are on the net wright now...  :-\

Well, some Google services, specially Google Desktop needs some 'special' connections when you're not online.

I don't have any tools from google...  :-\
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 10:51:52 PM by =YLAP= »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:40:34 PM »
Hi Ylap,

Goldstream. Heh, isn't that your networking card driver?
Test your hardware: see http://www.driverforum.com/network5/10097.html.

Success, hope your trouble is cured soon,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »

Goldstream. Heh, isn't that your networking card driver?

Nope, between, why it should connect to hell knows what mail server and to recieve hell knows what a mail message and to save it hell knows there! And it happens in about every 15 minutes. It connects, it downloads the same mail message which seems to be saved nowhere, and it repaets all this after 15-20 minutes. If I deny avast mail scanner connection, it gives me error window. If I'm not connected to the Net, it gives me an error window too. All these things tonight are going to kill me!  >:( And it started from nowhere maybe 4 hours ago...  >:(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:25:35 AM »
Hi Ylap,

Maybe you have fallen victim to the remote code vulnerability,
still not fixed and reported here: http://mangeek.com/. If you say you have been updating. It is a possibility,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:41:22 AM »
YLAP, do you use Azureus? Some Internet Mail provider issues are related to non-standard connections made by P2P programs.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 12:44:40 AM »
no, but i have limewire.... I think i'll remove it. as i don't use it anymore...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 01:12:41 AM »
no, but i have limewire.... I think i'll remove it. as i don't use it anymore...
Limewire is not guilty here even it is installed. I'll think but it's not that easy...
Anything into avast logs or Kerio logs? Windows events?

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 01:24:12 AM »
Limewire is installed on my system with no problems at all.........

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 05:06:42 AM »
Nothing unusual in any log file. I'll just wait and see how the things will go on in future. All these things seems to be gone this morning... Till now... Could be the reason to all this that yesterday PC was on and connected to NET for more than 24 hours non-stop? But I have restarted it several times in evening....  :-\ hell knows but till now it seems to be ok...

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 05:39:57 PM »
Could be the reason to all this that yesterday PC was on and connected to NET for more than 24 hours non-stop?

Paulius

My comp is on 24/7 and i restart it once a week(maybe) it's downloading all the time(Azureus) and everything works fine.I would suggest you start using backups so when something like this happens you can just go back and not worry...

Cheers