Author Topic: Avast upgrade nag screen after Win 10 upgrade  (Read 3744 times)

REDACTED

Avast upgrade nag screen after Win 10 upgrade
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
Had Avast free on my Win 7 desktop for the last couple of weeks. Decided to do the upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of nights ago. Went to Control Panel and did an uninstall of Avast before doing the upgrade. Upgrade went fine but now every time I start the computer I get a "nag screen" to update Avast in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Called Avast support and they said I should have used the Avast uninstall utility to get it out, not Control Panel. Told me to download the utility and it would take care of it. Did that and still get the nag screen. Called back and was told for $180 they could access my files and remove it. Promptly hung up.

Thought well, maybe if I go ahead and reinstall Avast and then run the uninstall utility that would take care of it. Wrong, still get the nag screen.

Any ideas on where to look for something else as obviously Avast is not going to be of help, unless I open up my wallet of course.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast upgrade nag screen after Win 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

REDACTED

Re: Avast upgrade nag screen after Win 10 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
I had the same issue. After upgrading to Win10, AVast leaves  an extremely intrusive nag screen. The AvastClear app does not remove the nag. The nag is found in C > Program Files > Common Files > AV >avast! Antivirus

There are 4 items in this folder. AvastClear only removes 2. What I did was  rename the offending folder to avast! Antivirus OLD. I left it alone like that to make sure nothing else broke. So far so good. That is the point I'm at now. I've done several restarts and the nag has not reappeared. I'm going to leave it like that for a month just to make sure nothing else broke.

I used essexboy's method. That didn't work. Be aware you have to select the correct version of Avast , lets presume it's the free version. Make sure to select that one.  I also tried navigating directly to the nag's folder using the tool. That didn't work either.

This experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. I switched to Defender. Did Avast really try to get $180 to fix this malware? One more thing. Avast shuts off security and you have to manually turn it back on, else you will be left defenseless. Yup, Avast leaves you wide open to attack. Best to remain offline until you are sure this mess has been cleaned up.