Author Topic: Windows 10 - Latest Update - Unable to start Firewall!  (Read 15401 times)

Offline hillen

Re: Windows 10 - Latest Update - Unable to start Firewall!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »
Does it really matter if it is promised for the end of December or the first quarter of next year as they have proven over and over again their business suite is not important to them and as I stated in another post -- when they announced a "Windows 10" compatible version for their LEGACY product.

I just want a working product in a timely manner until my license expires next Oct. Is that really to much to ask?

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2015, 01:11:50 AM »
I uninstalled Avast! Endpoint Protection Suite Plus (EPSP) using the Control Panel\Programs and Features option. I rebooted, then used avastclear.exe to further erase the Avast! software in Safe Mode. I rebooted and using a registry editor I located all entries of the word "avast". Then I used regedit to delete all those registry entries. I rebooted and then reinstalled EPSP. This time the installation actually halted and displayed a pop-up Avast Error message window. The following was written: "The avast! Firewall driver couldn't be installed. The installation will proceed without the avast! Firewall component." You are given the option to look at the setup log file before proceeding. After acknowledging the pop-up message, the installation completes and reboots the PC.

The results were a EPSP client without Firewall settings but no warning icon, having a green checkmark in the SOA console. This is the same as seen on the SOA console on the Windows Server 2012r2 (having no firewall component) and green checkmark within the SOA console.

Using a IE-11 browser on the Windows 10 client PC, I'm able to log into the SAO console on the Windows Server 2012r2. I get a pop-up warning message window. The following was written: "Unable to load content: 7005 An error has occurred: [Line: 31 Position: 113]. I don't know if its' a warning about the lack of server content or client content. I'm guessing it's warning me about the lack of server content (firewall component).

It would be nice to get some (any) information concerning this matter. I understand this is considered a legacy (XP & 2003) program, having Windows 10 compatibility, but you have to get it to work first.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
Hi guys.

Can you rename the oem*.inf files and try to repair the installation?

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »
As you can see from my above replies, I've reinstalled the software a couple time. The latest setup log identifies the latest oem*.inf file is oem96.inf. Per your request I renamed the oem96.inf file, oem96old.inf and the oem96.pnf file, oem96old.pnf. I then preformed a repair, reinstalling the software. I checked the new setup log file, confirming a oem96.inf file was involved. Checking the Windows/INF folder, confirmed that no oen96.inf or oem96.pnf files exist (the old oem96old.inf and oem96old.pnf files are still there).

Opening the EPSP program, there is still no Firewall component.

Offline hillen

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Same here...

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Hillen, I did finally get the new Avast! EPSP to properly install on a Windows 10 laptop. I scrubbed the hard drive and preformed a clean OS installation. EPSP installed 8 WAN Miniport drivers to the NIC to work with the Avast! Firewall.

Hey Avast! try installing the new EPSP on a PC that had a previous version of Avast! AV software (like Avast! Free Internet). Your avastclean program will not be enough to clear Windows 10 in preparation of installation of the newest EPSP.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 to try your EPSP BETA. Prior to that this laptop had a older version of EPSP (which worked great) and then replaced with Avast Free Internet. I removed all AV software prior to upgrading this Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 and reinstalling Avast Free Internet. Avastclean was used between each step and was used again prior to installing the EPSP BETA. That is when I first saw the firewall component errors.

Well the fix is worse than the cure. I don't think you'll want to tell your customers to install your software only on a fresh OS, however, that is the only way I have been successful installing the new EPSP.

I have attached the firewall.log file but it is not impressive at all. The setup.log file is too large to post.

Offline hillen

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
jdfrench3 -- guess what, it's still a crap shoot on a clean install if the firewall will CONTINUE to run. I've had the firewall simply stop working on three new, clean installs for no apparent reason. No amount of reboots have brought back the firewall on those machines.... And they were clean installs.

You are correct ( i've stated this in an earlier post ) the new Endpoint Security client will not install the firewall on machines with previous Avast products installed -- such as Internet Security, etc. No amount of cleaning, purging, praying or otherwise will install the firewall on those machines -- simply won't work.

My work laptop is sitting here still without an Avast firewall to protect it, and still no comments from Avast.