Author Topic: Page Cannot be displayed?!  (Read 11632 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Page Cannot be displayed?!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
Also I did try those links you gave me.. still Page Cannot be Displayed  Undecided
What error messages are displayed when the page can't be displayed?
Are you able to browse other web pages or does it only effect avast.com?

If it is only avast.com then it is possible that there is an entry in the hosts file as people are suggesting, that blocks access to certain AV sites.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fightback84

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 04:58:52 AM »
I finally fixed it! I took the advice to get Host File Reader and reset default.. all of a sudden I was able to get my registration done :D

What it was; wasn't that I couldn't get any pages displayed it was that I couldn't get any anti-virus websites to come up ???

But I still don't see my avast icon at the bottom right so I'm still not sure if it's working properly..

You all have been a great help 8)

Rick F

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 05:59:52 AM »
Everyone should have a "Hosts" file, but what's is stored there may be different. You should open your Hosts file with Notepad or Wordpad to see if there is a long list of entries. Unless you use a Hosts file on purpose (like I do - see below) it should be fairly short like the example posted above.

The Hosts file is used by Windows to check for direct addressing before doing a DNS look up. This saved some time when the computers didn't run as fast as they do today. The design of checking the Hosts file is still there and Windows always checks to see if the URL you enter or click on is referenced in your 'Hosts' file.  If you've been infected with something that alters your 'Hosts' file, the address for Avast, McAfee, Symantec, Nortons, etc. may be referenced to 127.0.0.1 - which is the local host or your computer.  If that's the case, you'll get "Page not found".  This is done by many viruses to protect themselves from the user getting help from AV sites.

To restore your HOSTS file to it's original state, you can download and run this tool:

Restores the default HOSTS file on Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/HOSTS.EXE
... this is a legit program from a volunteer moderator @ McAfee

The hosts file can be "infected" but it's not a major problem by itself. Instead it's just a way to block or redirect internet traffic. For example, www.mcafee.com could be blocked so it does not show up when typed into a browser.

The reason the HOSTS file is being infected is because there is another program running on your computer that is most likely a virus. To make sure your system is clean you can get another opinion besides Avast by running an on-line scanner such as 'Housecall' or 'Panda active scan'.

Housecall
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

Panda Activescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Hope this helps.

BTW, I use an pretty extensive "Hosts" file to guard against getting a lot of adware / spyware.  Any frame that has something like 'double click' will be blocked.  In that frame I see 'Page can not be displayed'.  I get very few date miner cookies... about 2 per week when I run Adaware or SpyBot S+D.

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

This Hosts file is updated with more sites added periodically

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 07:18:28 PM by Rick F »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
 :) Rick F :

Did you not read where fightback said he used my
    recommendation of Hosts File Reader to reset his
    Hosts File to the original "state" !?

Fightback84 :

It appears you still may have some malware on your
    computer; since you say you have Ad-Aware SE, I suggest
    you ask for help from the Ad-Aware Experts that can be
    found at www.landzdown.com .

Rick F

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi Spiritsongs,

When I posted my reply, it took me some time to gather the info.  I did not see his post where he had fixed it using your suggested link.  Prior to that, it looked like he was still having trouble and had asked for more help about the 'Hosts' file.  Since I posted first about the 'Hosts' file possibly being his problem, I felt obliged to try to help.

Sorry if it looked like I was stepping on your toes.  ::) We're all here just trying to help one another, right?

fightback84

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 05:28:16 PM »
Ok well everything I'm doing seems to help but only temporarily.. ??? As soon as I restart my comp bingo bango I have to do everything over again!

So I don't know.. Do you all think I should go get help from Ad-Aware or something? Maybe get Spy-bot instead?

Or is this a virus that is not being detected ???

thanx, Nat

BTW it's not "his" hehe it's hers!

Rick F

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »
Hi Nat,

Sorry you're still having trouble.  Like I stated above...

"The hosts file can be "infected" but it's not a major problem by itself. Instead it's just a way to block or redirect internet traffic.

The reason the HOSTS file is being infected is because there is another program running on your computer that is most likely a virus or trojan -- one that Avast isn't detecting. To make sure your system is clean you can get another opinion by running an on-line scanner such as 'Housecall' or 'Panda active scan'.

Housecall
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

Panda Activescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm
Yes, it's good to also have AdAware SE in addition to SpyBot S+D.  They seem to catch different threats.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 07:17:22 PM by Rick F »