Author Topic: Page Cannot be displayed?!  (Read 11591 times)

fightback84

Page Cannot be displayed?!
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:51:21 PM »
Hi I have been wanting to register my home edition for quite some time now but everytime I go to register it tells me this page cannot be displayed. I have even tried going there whitout using that link.. google and avast same thing.. as a matter of fact any anti-virus website is unavailable from my computer..  ???
Very confusing.. Could this be a virus or something? I need help hehe

fightback84

Re: Page Cannot be displayed?!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »
And also when and if I register my avast will my @ at the bottom right come? I find it strange that it won't come up even if I'm scanning :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:41:24 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
Is ashWebSv.exe (the WebShield executable of avast) allowed to connect into the firewall settings?
Which is your oprerational system? Any other antivirus installed? Or other security software?
I do not understand your 2nd post, can you rephrase?
The best things in life are free.

Rick F

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »
You might have a "Hosts" file stored on your HD that is stopping you from going to that site.  When you get the 'Page can not be displayed', right-click anywhere on that page, then in the pop-up, choose 'properties'.  Look at the link. Is there a "res" (restricted or reserved) in front of that link?  If so - you have a Hosts file stored in your Windows system directory keeping your from going to that site.

Many Trojans / viruses create a Hosts file to prevent the user from getting help from many AV (anti-virus) vendors.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 05:48:39 PM »
Which link have you been trying?

This works for me avast! 4 Home Registration you could try pasting the URL into a new window or tab and see if it works like that http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fightback84

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 02:56:07 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You might have a "Hosts" file stored on your HD that is stopping you from going to that site.  When you get the 'Page can not be displayed', right-click anywhere on that page, then in the pop-up, choose 'properties'.  Look at the link. Is there a "res" (restricted or reserved) in front of that link?  If so - you have a Hosts file stored in your Windows system directory keeping your from going to that site.

Many Trojans / viruses create a Hosts file to prevent the user from getting help from many AV (anti-virus) vendors.

Your exactly right! Thank You :) But what can I do to fix it.. any ideas?
Would this explain why no viruses ever come up when I scan.. cause that I found a little odd.

fightback84

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:00:38 PM »
Yes I can paraphrase :)     
You know the little icons on your taskbar... (at the bottom right hand side.. in case there's another name for it)
Well I don't know why but I don't know where My A for Avast is.. You know like that thing that turns in circles kind of telling you that your pc is being scanned..

How's that  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:27:41 PM »
You can open the following file
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
into Notepad, copy and paste it here  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »
And also when and if I register my avast will my @ at the bottom right come? I find it strange that it won't come up even if I'm scanning :o
Having gone back through the thread, a little light bulb has gone on.

What you are describing above is totally unrelated with not being able to access the avast web site, did you try those links I posted, you didn't say?

There are a few possible reasons that the avast icon isn't displaved on the system tray:
1. It is hidden when Inactive and you have ticked Hide Inactive Icons in the Start button Properties, Taskbar.
2. Did you have another AV installed, if so what?
3. Do you have any other security software? SpySweeper previously used to detect the avast display icon and removed the startup entry so it was gone.
4. Are you getting any error messages relating to avast when you start?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fightback84

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
Having gone back through the thread, a little light bulb has gone on.

What you are describing above is totally unrelated with not being able to access the avast web site, did you try those links I posted, you didn't say?

There are a few possible reasons that the avast icon isn't displaved on the system tray:
1. It is hidden when Inactive and you have ticked Hide Inactive Icons in the Start button Properties, Taskbar.
2. Did you have another AV installed, if so what?
3. Do you have any other security software? SpySweeper previously used to detect the avast display icon and removed the startup entry so it was gone.
4. Are you getting any error messages relating to avast when you start?

1. Nope not hidden..
2. I've always had Avast.. But I did have to uninstall and re-download it Because I thought there had to be viruses on my comp haha 8)
3. The only other security Software I have is Ad-Aware.. I always thought they worked hand in hand
4. Not a single error message ever Came up

Also I did try those links you gave me.. still Page Cannot be Displayed  :-\

I right clicked on it and then properties and that did come up as res for restricted... So that think about the host must be right..

What if I try another browser like mozilla or something.. Do you think that might work?

fightback84

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 07:46:53 PM »
You can open the following file
into Notepad, copy and paste it here  :)

Umm what do you mean? :-[

And thank you guys very much for helping me out!

fightback84

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 07:48:57 PM »
If so - you have a Hosts file stored in your Windows system directory keeping your from going to that site.

So this is my problem.. I wonder how I can get the Hosts out of my Hard Drive ???

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 07:58:17 PM by fightback84 »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 08:07:30 PM »
 :) Fightback84 :

You do NOT want to remove your computer's "Hosts
     File"; it is there as an extra layer of defense though
     spyware and/or adware can get in there. The easiest
     way to review the info in your Hosts File AND to take
     action against anything that is there that should not
     be there is to use a FREE program called "Hosts File
     Reader" which comes in a zipped format ( an unzipping
     utility/application/program is needed on your computer ) ;
     download, then install from :
     http://members.accessbee.com/mitch/HostsFileReader.zip
     Most "Hosts File" have ONLY 1 entry.
     Unless you have used a program that has legitimately
     added entries to your "Hosts File", you will probably
     want to use HostsFileReader's "Restore Default" setting.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:27:37 PM by Spiritsongs »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 08:15:06 PM »
If so - you have a Hosts file stored in your Windows system directory keeping your from going to that site.
So this is my problem.. I wonder how I can get the Hosts out of my Hard Drive ???
I don't want that you remove the file, just check if the contents are similar to this:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a "#" symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
#
127.0.0.1 localhost

neal62

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 08:20:47 PM »
fightback84,

Try SHUTTING your computer down. Leave it down for about 5 mins. Then start it up and see if you still see "Page cannot be displayed" when you try to go to ANY url.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:22:55 PM by neal63 »