Author Topic: Avast 2016 Free Online Security no longer working after Firefox update crashed  (Read 2885 times)

REDACTED

Hi,
My system is a Windows 7 SP1 desktop.

Firefox crashed today during an update and since I have been unable to get Avast Online Security (2016 Free) working.  To try to remedy the situation I have completely uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it from the latest download.  I then ran an Avast repair after which Firefox asked my permission to install Avast Online Security.  After agreeing to this, after restarting Firefox, Avast Online Security is listed as an extension and appears to be enabled but the icon does not appear on the toolbar. 

I use DuckandGo as my preferred search engine and I know there are problems with compatibility between Avast and DuckDuckGo but I still have the problem when I search through Google whereas before the Firefox update crash, Avast Online Security worked correctly.

I have looked at Avast in 'Programs and Features' from where I ran the 'Repair' option but think perhaps I should have looked in the 'Modify' section.  However, in that section all features are ticked and it is not entirely clear which I should untick and later retick to see if that resets Avast Online Security - I would assume it would be 'Browser Protection' but there is also 'Web Shield' but no mention of 'Online Security' specifically.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:01:48 PM by Kesetyan »

Offline Tangy

Go to view > Toolbars > customize . AOS icon must be there. Then drag it to toolbar.
AOS is a stand alone add on.
If you are using FF43 due to the add on signing enforcement you can do the following :

Type,  about:config in the browser's address bar.
    Confirm you will be careful if the prompt appears.
    Search for xpinstall.signatures.required.
    Double-click the preference to set it to false.

Then enable your add ons manually.

I hope this helps.
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

REDACTED

Hi Tangy,
Thanks for your quick reply.  Unfortunately, although the information you provided is useful, it did not provide a solution for the problem on my computer.  I have installed the 'Web of Trust' plugin which provides a similar service to AOS and that is working correctly - it works with both Google and DuckDuckGo too so I'm happy with that but it would be interesting to know why AOS might be proving troublesome on FF43.

Cheers and best regards.

Offline Tangy

Hey Kesetyan,

Please have a look at reply #13
Link : https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=180490.0

Kind Regards
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

REDACTED

Hi Tangy,
Thanks for your continued interest in my problem.

I have checked out the thread link you provided.  I have been following that thread with interest but nothing I have tried from suggestions there seem to work.  When I apply the Firefox 'about:config' recommendation, untick 'Browser Protection' in Avast 'Modify' in 'Programs and Features' then tick 'Browser Protection' again Avast Online Security appears in the Firefox list of extensions and is shown as enabled.  Unfortunately its icon does not appear on the FF toolbar and no green ticks appear in a Google search.

I may have to untick Avast 'Browser Protection' for the time being and rely on 'Web of Trust' which I need for DuckDuckGo anyway.

Cheers and regards, Kesetyan.