Author Topic: Fire fox protection  (Read 4280 times)

raymondjcox1

Fire fox protection
« on: December 14, 2005, 03:22:27 AM »
Hi i am wondering why fire fox & mozillar products are not protected against viruses from avast?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Fire fox protection
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 05:40:37 AM »
That is a rather broad and untrue statement.

(Sorry but I do have to say that nobody needs protecting against viruses from avast!, since avast does not deliver them.)

I assume you are speaking of script blocking.  In all other respects avast! provide the same protection to Firefox and other Mozilla products as it does to IE and equivalent products from other vendors.

Zagor

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:04:50 AM »
Hello alanrf,
I belive that raymondjcox1 was, maybe, reffering to avast protection against viruses in Firefox.
Nevertheless, you statement about Script blocker is accurate.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »
Apart from the caveat I mentioned Firefox is just as protected from virus attacks as any other browser by avast!

Think about it ... do you think that other browsers have a different Internet access mechanism?  Avast doesn't give a d*mn about which browser you use ... it intercepts the access mechanism not the browser executable.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 10:03:19 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:16:57 AM »
Zagor, while we are here ... since you and I discussed it recently with email ... the same is true of all the providers in avast! (and any other AV vendor).  They work by intercepting the access of browsers, mail clients, Usenet news readers, IM clients ... you name it.

No AV vendor would be in business very long if they just concentrated on supporting certain software products.  That's why I smile when I see questions like ... is Thunderbird supported, is Eudora supported, is Opera supported, is Netscape? 

The folks at avast! know that all of these products are just repackaging a new GUI around well known access methods.  For the most part avast! hasn't got a clue what browser, what mail client, what news client you use. 

I was once at a software convention of very senior executives from well known corporations.  We were all taken to an expensive magic theatre in Hollywood after an equally expensive executive dinner.  Though I tried to avoid it I was the person chosen from the audience to assist the "magician".  Throughout the rest of that conference I was amazed at the innocence of all my fellow executives (controlling untold multi-million dollar contracts) about "the magic".  I must admit ... I wondered how much they, who really seemed to believe in "magic", really knew about the running of their global enterprises.

As long as the large part of the population believe in the magic ... all is well.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 10:28:24 AM by alanrf »

Zagor

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:58:53 PM »
They work by intercepting the access of browsers, mail clients, Usenet news readers, IM clients ... you name it.
Of course.

I was just trying to interpret what raymondjcox1 was trying to say:
Hi i am wondering why fire fox & mozillar products are not protected against viruses from avast?

That's why I smile when I see questions like ... is Thunderbird supported, is Eudora supported, is Opera supported, is Netscape?
:) Well, although my area of expertise is Theoretical Physics I try to keep up with the software branche. Especially because I'm codirector of newly founded company for software development. Although not a programer I strive to keep up with the business. :)

As long as the large part of the population believe in the magic ... all is well.
Freddie Mercury was probably wright "It's a kind of magic".  :)