Author Topic: SMTP Email notifications not working  (Read 8220 times)

outerheaven11

SMTP Email notifications not working
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
I am trying to set up Avast Server to notify me of a virus infection.  However no matter what I enter into the SMTP and Alert sections of the settings I cannot get it to send me an email.  These are known good settings, as I already use them for notifications from others servers and printers. 

I get various errors during testing, all of which are vague and unhelpful (i.e. "Error - message could not be sent").  I am now trying to use Gmail as an SMTP relay since using my work SMTP server apparently doesn't work either. 

Here's how I have it set up:

Under Alerts in Program Settings: Net alert address is set to my work email, the one I want to receive the notifications. 

Under SMTP:

Server address:  smtp.gmail.com
Port: 445
From address:  My Personal Gmail address

SMTP server requires authentication:  checked

Username:  my gmail address
Password: my gmail password

This is the error I get:

"A request to send of receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call - The alert cannot be sent".

There also seems to be no option for TLS, so I assume Avast is trying to use just SSL alone. 

REDACTED

Re: SMTP Email notifications not working
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
did you ever get this figured out? Im having the same problem and not finding any answers.

REDACTED