Author Topic: internet access blocked for a while at bootup - avast?  (Read 4484 times)

REDACTED

internet access blocked for a while at bootup - avast?
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
I have a problem where all internet access is blocked for a few minutes whenever I bootup. I have some memory of some software asking me "should I block internet access while I (the software) am initializing?" - which seems like something an antivirus or firewall would do - but I cannot find anything in Avast setup that lets me turn that on or off...

Anyway - whether it's Avast or something else - does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas about what might be causing it?

I an running windows 8.1, Avast 11.1.2245 (just updated, but this has been going on for a year or more?), Windows Firewall (whatever that is these days), ...

Thanks
Dan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: internet access blocked for a while at bootup - avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:26:53 AM »
What exact version of avast are you using ?
should I block internet access...
That does sound like a question from a firewall that is set to ask what to do when software wants to connect through the internet.

There are many possible causes for what you describe.
- Drivers not loaded yet.
- Modem/router has no IP assigned to the system yet.
- There is a network connection, but the connection is in reserved use by certain software.
etc etc.

Boot to open taskmanager right a.s.a.p.
It may show what is going on with the connection.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »
Avast Pro AV 11.1.2245 - but, as I said, the problem has existed for many months, including a number of prior versions  (meaning not 11.1.2245). And its not a problem with the router - I can get out over wifi from my smartphone when the PC is stalled. COuld be the router blocking for a while, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

And that question I mentioned doesn't happen now - I remember, vaguely, it happening once when I was installing some software - maybe AVast, maybe something else. So it's not some software asking what I want it to do with some new activity - it was something like "I can provide better security from now on if I block internet activity after a bootup, until I am ready to monitor everything - or you can allow internet activity for other programs if it happens before I am ready to enforce security." But I may be mis-remembering this whole thing completely - I am really asking if this question sounds familiar to anyone.

I am pretty sure I have checked what is running when this occurs - and it is all the normal startup programs. I'll check again, and I'll check the event log during and after this problem, the next time I boot.

Thanks
Dan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 06:48:30 AM »
Does it make a difference if you set avast to load after other things have loaded ?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:02:10 AM »
Does it make a difference if you set avast to load after other things have loaded ?

I did not think of that - and/or did not notice that option when checking settings that might effect my problem. Anyway, that seems to have helped! Other startup apps that need internet access were able to start, and Avast seems to have started quickly when it did start - probably less going on, and less to check.

Anyway, thanks, Eddy!
Dan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
You're welcome.

A door has a certain width, if multiple people try to go through it at the same time....

I suggest you have a look at what is loading at boot time and disable everything that is not really needed for the system to work.

Offline ITGuy90

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
Hello,
Apologies for the reviving, but I too am having this issue.

Where is the setting to tell avast to boot after other software? I'd like to try that.

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 01:30:49 PM »
Where is the setting to tell avast to boot after other software? I'd like to try that.
Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »
<snip>
<snip>

It isn't to boot after other software, but after other computer services (I think that is after other system services), to the improvement may be limited.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security