Author Topic: www.KitOnline.org Getting Blocked  (Read 2580 times)

REDACTED

www.KitOnline.org Getting Blocked
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:26 PM »
Hello.  We have users that have reported that Avast is blocking www.KitOnline.org as a malicious URL.  As a workaround, we've given them instructions to "disable for 1 hour" which gets tedious throughout the day when we have a lot of teachers accessing the site. 

We have sent multiple emails to let you know that the website is legit for schools and should be removed from your blocked list.

We also contacted the organization to let them know so you'll be hearing from them, too.

Thank you!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: www.KitOnline.org Getting Blocked
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:48:15 PM »
IP history    https://www.virustotal.com/en/ip-address/107.180.40.62/information/
Multiple blacklisted domains on same IP .... click more button under list(s) fore more info

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:55:15 AM »
JQuery code libraries to be retired on site and some links that are blocked by regular adblockers:
http://retire.insecurity.today/#!/scan/c31c8da78645916c9a25caeb487f1097405605eb174b8f464e791b348341c8e1
Ask for an exclusion to IP blocking here: https://www.avast.com/contacts  This whenever this domain on IP is not a PHISH.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline HonzaZ

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
Hi cyssfts,
Giving others advice to disable antivirus when it warns you is equal to sticking a black tape over the "engine failure" sign in your car when you want to use it. You are not solving the problem at all, you are merely silencing the warning. Worse, the users are unprotected from other threats during that period.
These multiple emails that you speak of - which was the recipient(s)? When did you send them?
I cannot see anything wrong with the domain right now, so I am unblocking it ;), but that does not mean the security holes were patched and that it won't be blocked in the future again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
I fully agree with HonzaZ.

If a very hungry Lion has his eyes on you, you can turn your head so you would not see him.
But that doesn't make the Lion go away.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »
HonzaZ,

Thanks for the assist!  I've contacted the tech folks at KitOnline.org and I'll send them a link to this thread. 

Regarding the emails:  I've clicked the "false positive" option on the pop-up warning and sent the emails through there.