Author Topic: BLUE SCREEN WINDOWS 8.1  (Read 41517 times)

REDACTED

Re: BLUE SCREEN WINDOWS 8.1
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
The computers with the upgraded "aswvmm.sys" file have not crashed with a BSOD since last Friday. We're testing this fix with more affected Windows 8.1 computers. Let's see what happens.

REDACTED

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
SomDev2004 - What client software and aswvmm.sys versions do you have?

REDACTED

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:25 PM »
We have avast endpoint protection suite, program version 8.0.1606. Only few computers that we're testing with now have "aswvmm.sys" with file version "10.1.1606.516". The rest still have the older version of this file.

REDACTED

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
The fix I came up with has worked on all the computers on our end so far. I think what Avast should really do at this moment is to release a patched program update which will replace "aswvmm.sys" in the three folders and also in the registry (if required). This should not be a big deal for Avast I guess.

Offline MegaRich

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 11:52:34 PM »
Can someone from avast just release the necessary file?

This is total garbage.

Free Cloud Business? Works great.
Free Home? Works great.
Paid version? Total junk.

I'm a reseller and I've reached out to reseller support, but if this is how Avast is treating paid customers and the people who SELL their product for them, why am I still going to the trouble?

REDACTED

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:57 AM »
@MegaRich: We're frustrated too and we're really thinking of moving away from Avast soon. Meanwhile, I can send you the upgraded "aswvmm.sys" if you want.

Offline MegaRich

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:48 AM »
somdev2004: I really, really, appreciate the offer, but my internal IT controls would probably frown upon me deploying dll files from an unknown source as part of our antivirus package. Too risky. I hope you understand. I've been pushing to get the files from reseller support, but this was poorly handled.

REDACTED

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
I understand MegaRich. No worries, I think avast should solve the issue in a more efficient way. Let's see. Meanwhile, we have a solution for our campus that we can use until we switch to a different endpoint security solution. Good luck!

REDACTED

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »
I found a fix for this issue, or at least this worked for me.  I used the process on the individual clients and it worked and was given the directions on the console but have not tried it yet because of the warning.

1. Individual clients. 
       a. Uninstall the software and then reinstall using this link https://www.avast.com/download-software.  If you use the custom install you can point to your AEA server.
       b. Go to the Avast directory(C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business) and find AvastEMUpdate.exe.  check the version of the file first and then run as administrator. mine was 10.1.1606.511
       c. The file should run and the version should change to a newer version.  This took a few minutes and required a reboot.  the new version is 10.2.2218.942.
       d. After this was updated my aswVmm was also updated.

2. Through the AEA console.
       a. WARNING - I have been warned in some cases there are issues with this and if I could to run the new versions on only the clients for now.
       b. go to this website and install the console over the top of itself.https://www.avast.com/download-software.  this should save the settings.
       c.  Wait up to 24 hours for the mirror servers to sync.
       d.  Redistribute the clients to update them. 

REDACTED

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
Avast Support and I found out something. The main problem is that in many cases the file "AvastEmUpdate.exe" is faulty. That's why the recommended "aswvmm.sys" file is not updated and the blue screen occures.

So the solution is to replace the AvastEmUpdate.exe with the following download:
http://www.gmeiner.de/download/AvastEmUpdate.exe

Please disable "Avast self protection" in settings before overwrite the file.

After that run the Avast emergeny update task in the windows task planner. The file C:\windows\system32\drivers\aswvmm.sys will than be replaced with the new version.

One more hint... I deployed the update of AvastEmUpdate.exe via netlogon scripts in windows domains.

I hope this helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Hi,

How can we obtain the updated aswvmm.sys?
We use EAS and even though I run update avast which runs correctly the sys file version is still .511.
Please Avast make the updated file available asap!

REDACTED

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2016, 02:21:27 PM »
I can confirm the following:

This is 100% related to avast. We/I have done extensive testing in the last week.
This affects both 8.1 and win10.
This happens on a clean install or a dirty install.
The dumps simply say that there was a critical structure corruption and the kernel is the only conflicting thing in the mini dump.

REDACTED

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »
@zackzaf: It's happening with win 10 also???? I've few win 10 boxes and have not noticed any BSOD so far. I'll be careful now.

REDACTED

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
Long and short, we were having issues with some win 8.1 venues to begin with. critical structure errors.
We installed Avast on the VP's ( great....) new surface and within 24 hours it was BSODing. With a solid 2 months of run time previously without issue. Only change was avast install... Sadly.

REDACTED

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2016, 06:29:17 PM »
I would LOVE to try replacing the aswvmm.sys file, but no luck seeing that change out...
 We use an AEC and I will be attempting to remove Avast form a users computer and reinstalling as per Avast recommendations for the EC. but I don’t have high hopes.

( I am also an Avast! reseller for full disclosure. I am not sure I can really continue to sell this product as an enterprise solution though... )