Author Topic: Downadup/Conficker worm? Or what?  (Read 14059 times)

REDACTED

Re: Downadup/Conficker worm? Or what?
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2015, 03:52:56 PM »
Eddy: Yeah, I was able to uninstall Avast, using avastclear. But afterwards, I wasn't sure if Avast was really uninstalled (even though it no longer appears in the list of installed programs). The reason I wasn't sure is because I got a Windows Security Alert that says: "Malware Protection: Check Settings. Virus Protection: Not Compatible. avast Antivirus is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

Also, since I cannot connect to the Avast website with her computer, how can I install the latest version?

p.s. I did delete that Apple Bonjour thing. Didn't seem to help anything, though...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
Sent the complete installer to her system and run it.

REDACTED

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
I knew you were going to say that. :-) So I've started uploading the 157MB installer to her computer. It should be finished in about an hour.

Meanwhile, what do you think about that Windows Security Alert? It's sounding like Avast is NOT completely uninstalled - even though I ran the uninstaller and it no longer shows up in the list of installed program (nor in the tray)...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
That likely is a known bug in the security center that has been there since the first version of Windows XP.

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
OK, so I re-installed Avast 2016. So I'm right back where I started, unable to update Avast ("Connection not established") and so on...

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
I have already told you, this is the waste of time:

Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error. Google IP is unreachable
Attempt to access Google.com returned error: Google.com is unreachable
Attempt to access Yahoo.com returned error: Yahoo.com is unreachable

Something is messed up and internet isn't working somehow. I tried to fix this in the past, but I failed, so reinstall it the easiest option.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:52:28 AM by TwinHeadedEagle »
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
Unfortunately, reinstall (of Windows Vista) is NOT the easiest option. At least not via remote control. Too many reboots and offline instructions for my mother to handle. That's why I'm willing to try almost any other angle that someone might suggest.

What's so strange is that the internet is only PARTIALLY blocked. Access to some websites is no problem. Access to Windows Update and any/all antivirus-type websites is NOT allowed. To me, that screams virus. But what do I know? Not much, that's why I'm here seeking the advice of experts...

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Okay, let's try one more tool. If this doesn't reveal something, I'll give up.

Scan with TDSSKiller

Please download TDSSKiller by Kaspersky and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Click on Change parameters and put a checkmark beside Loaded modules. A reboot will be needed to apply the changes, allow it to do so.
  • Your machine may appear very slow and unusable after that - it's normal.
  • TDSSKiller will run automaticaly. Click on Change parameters and click OK.
  • Click the Start Scan button and wait patiently.
If anything will be found follow this guidelines:
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
    Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead.
  • Do not choose Delete unless instructed!
A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ drive) in the form of TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt. Please include the contents of that file in your next post.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:02:08 PM by TwinHeadedEagle »
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »
Are all sites that she can't open secured sites (https) or are there also non-secured sites that give the same problem ?

REDACTED

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
It's a Christmas miracle! Re-installation of Avast 2016 seems to have fixed the problem - eventually (it didn't at first). When I remotely logged on to her computer this morning, everything was connected to the internet, like it should be. Avast was updated and several other programs were prompting for updates. So apparently, that initial installation of Avast 2016 skewed something and un-installing and re-installing it, un-skewed something. I'll monitor the situation to make sure it stays that way.

Thank you Eddy and TwinHeadedEagle for all your help! You guys are awesome! :-)