Author Topic: Internet error  (Read 6304 times)

xray15

Internet error
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:13:03 AM »
when i installed the avast it didn't yet me connect to my LAN network that haves internet and i had to uninstall it for me to connect to the internet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Internet error
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:21:01 AM »
For sure avast won't avoid you to connect as I'm with avast and connected  ;D

Most probably, into the firewall settings, the following programs aren't allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

So, can you check? Welcom to avast. Welcome to forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

IbSta

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
This is also for some odd reason happening to me to! I love !avast but at some times if I browse with more then 1 instance of IE, I will lose my internet connection and I have to reboot. I diasbled !avast and removed it from the tray and everything seemed fine I can browse with 13 instances of IE with no lag or connection problem. Very strange any idea? Should I disable the Web Shield and the Network Shield? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »
I can browse with 13 instances of IE.
Should I disable the Web Shield and the Network Shield? Thanks.
I think not... It's not a matter of IE instances. WebShield will block the specific one that is INFECTED not the others.
What site are you visiting when IE get blocked?

IbSta

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »
sometimes Neowin.net sometimes tcmagazine.info even gmail.google.com or google.com

I dont have a firewall just a  router.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »
You could also try a multi-tabbed browser.

Unless your router has a firewall that also provides outbound protection, if something manages to get past your defences, you are at risk of losing personal/sensitive data and possible download of more malware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

IbSta

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 04:33:28 AM »
I have a Linksys router and it has SPI firewall.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:22:06 PM »
 :) Always best to have a "software" firewall to go along with
    your router firewall. There are good, FREE ones available,
    such as Zone Alarm, Kerio and even the Sygate "abandoned
    by Symantec", which I think I discovered today available at :
    www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/
       0,fid,8132,00.asp .

IbSta

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:27:47 PM »
I dont need a firewall, my connection is unstable as it is  :'(.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 01:06:07 AM »
I dont need a firewall, my connection is unstable as it is  :'(.
Firewall won't make you unstable.
On contrary, a firewall will make you safer  8)

nshumate

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 04:12:39 AM »
I'm having the same serious problem as the first poster.  Since my update yesterday, Avast has blocked all web and email traffic.  It took me several hours disabling firewalls and content filters, scanning for malware, rebooting and resetting my DSL modem, etc., until I finally found that Avast was the problem.  Turn it off, and I can get out on the internet.  Turn it on, and the web shield blocks everything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 12:18:02 PM »
Turn it on, and the web shield blocks everything.
Which Windows do you have? Which firewall? Any other local proxy application?
Are all of your LAN computers with the same configuration?
Is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect the Internet?
Allow server rights; access to ports 80, 443; accept connections from localhost on ports 12080.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »
I'm having the same serious problem as the first poster.  Since my update yesterday, Avast has blocked all web and email traffic.  It took me several hours disabling firewalls and content filters, scanning for malware, rebooting and resetting my DSL modem, etc., until I finally found that Avast was the problem.  Turn it off, and I can get out on the internet.  Turn it on, and the web shield blocks everything.
Program updates make changes to the components of avast and your firewall should recognise this change and ask you if it is OK to connect. If you don't read or just quickly block it, then it is entirely possible you could block either ashWebSv.exe web shield or ashMaiSv.exe the email scanner. So you need to ensure these are allowed access in your firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nshumate

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »
It AIN'T the firewall; I tried it with the firewall completely disabled, and Avast still got in the way of all web access.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 02:50:41 PM »
Humor me,
What is your firewall?
How did you disable it? - even when temporarily disabled using the GUI it is possible some of the sever elements are still enabled.
Did you check to see if they were disabled/blocked in the application/programs section of your firewall.