Author Topic: Wont Update  (Read 5622 times)

Kaz

Wont Update
« on: December 16, 2005, 07:54:08 AM »
Hello,

I'm trying the 4.6 Home version of Avast.
Win 98 SR

However, I always get the red error box when I start up. I've since added Avastsetup to the allowed status of my Firewall (Zonealarm [Home]). It still doesn't seem to work.

I've tried manually updating the definitions and the program, but nothing happens when I press the buttons or select off the menu list.

The current version fo the virus database is 0547-5, 26/11/05.

I tried downloading "vpsupd.exe" and running it, but get the following error message:

Can't Install VPS update. Please report following error codes:
SI: 0x00000002
ST:0x00000002
LE:0x00000000.

Any ideas?

Kaz

galooma

Re: Wont Update
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:25:50 AM »
Hi and welcome,
Is this something that has happened since you installed or just started happening?

If its always done this then try a repair , Go into add/remove programs and instead of remove you get the option to repair. You must be online for this to work.

If your Avast! has updated prior to 26/11/05 then what other changes have ocurred to your system since?
What security programs (if any) do you run alongside Avast! and ZA ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:02:19 PM »
However, I always get the red error box when I start up. I've since added Avastsetup to the allowed status of my Firewall (Zonealarm [Home]). It still doesn't seem to work.
How did you do it?

I tried downloading "vpsupd.exe" and running it, but get the following error message:
Can't Install VPS update. Please report following error codes: SI: 0x00000002 ST:0x00000002 LE:0x00000000.
Did you use the trial version and now the Home one?
Did you use a valid Home Registration key?
The best things in life are free.

Kaz

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »
I tried to repair but got an error message, part of which recommended that I uninstall and reinstall so I decided to do so. This time, I skipped the registration process temporarily to see if the Avast would work or not first.

It worked (so far).

I was able to update everything and got the blue box, not the red one.

Hopefully this will work. I was able to update the virus database at least once the last time.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kaz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
This time, I skipped the registration process temporarily to see if the Avast would work or not first.
After installing and before using the registration key you must boot  :)

doddy1963

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 05:23:16 AM »
I have the same problem...my 4.6 home edition will not update for about 3-4 weeks now.  I uninstalled, rebooted and then downloaded a new 4.6, but still won't update!  What could this be?  Yes, checked firewall, all is clear.  My connection to internet (comcast broadband cable) is fine.  I have windows 98SE.  Is there something wrong with Avast server?  It keeps telling me error connecting with server.  I also ran a scan disk and check computer for all spyware.  Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 01:06:15 PM »
Yes, checked firewall, all is clear.
Can you remove the avast items from there and then manually start the update waiting for the confirmation of the firewall?

Is there something wrong with Avast server?  It keeps telling me error connecting with server.
I think not...

doddy1963

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 08:35:09 PM »
TADA!!!!!!!!!!  Works Great!!!!! I manually removed all avast items from my firewall (AOL Privacy Wall) and everything downloaded like magic!  Thanks a Bunch!

;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »
You're welcome.
Come back if you need help and come back to help the others  ;)

kc692

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 02:25:19 AM »
I am trying Avast 4 hoe before upgrading.  I cannot update the definitions.  I had the same problem with Kaspersky as far as network error, but they have a known problem in some instances.  I am on modem, and am connected to the Internet but get the message cannot connect to server and then the message

you are not connected to the Internet.
 - your firewall does not allow the program "avast*.setup" to access the Internet; you can find details in help or read the FAQ section on avast! website.
 - your HTTP proxy settings are incorrect.
 - the server is inaccessible because of a network error or maintenance.

I listed as exception avast, and when i tried to get avast.ini file to check settings in Notepad, i can only find and avast.int file.  For some reason, whenever I turn on computer Firewall is turned off (this was pre installation) but avast is added as an exception.  Is there someway I can manually download updagted definitions to make sure a virus is not causing this?  What else can I do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 03:26:54 AM »
I am trying Avast 4 hoe before upgrading.  I cannot update the definitions.  I had the same problem with Kaspersky as far as network error, but they have a known problem in some instances.  I am on modem, and am connected to the Internet but get the message cannot connect to server and then the message

you are not connected to the Internet.
 - your firewall does not allow the program "avast*.setup" to access the Internet; you can find details in help or read the FAQ section on avast! website.
 - your HTTP proxy settings are incorrect.
 - the server is inaccessible because of a network error or maintenance.

I listed as exception avast, and when i tried to get avast.ini file to check settings in Notepad, i can only find and avast.int file.  For some reason, whenever I turn on computer Firewall is turned off (this was pre installation) but avast is added as an exception.  Is there someway I can manually download updagted definitions to make sure a virus is not causing this?  What else can I do?

Please, never post twice... you'll take our time and effort to help.
Follow here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18141.0;topicseen

kc692

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 03:39:14 AM »
I'm sorry, new to the forums, it wont happen again, :-\

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 03:42:24 AM »

Welcome to the forums, kc692!    :)

Be sure to come back often and maybe you can help others also.