Author Topic: invalid file signature: setup will terminate  (Read 15393 times)

REDACTED

invalid file signature: setup will terminate
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
I am trying to update the virus definitions per Avast's instructions.  However, got this error message "invalid file signature:  setup will terminate." 

Can technical support take a look at this?  Thanks.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: invalid file signature: setup will terminate
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
I get the same error including a popup my database would be outdated and i may want to update them.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
Getting the same thing here. My defs say 151228-2
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »
There currently seems to be a lot of traffic going on.
Update(s) are downloading slowly or give a error.
Try it again in a few hours.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Thanks for posting about this! I thought I was the only one with this problem and that it might be an issue my end, but thankfully not!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
same problem - and I got a similar error message when I tried to reinstall.

Called support - he said it must be a problem on my PC. I mentioned the thread here - he said "those are just public opinions." I said it could be an early warning..

Anyway - I'll wait and see if they fix THEIR problem!

Dan

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »
I get the same error including a popup my database would be outdated and i may want to update them.
I am happy to know it isn't a personal thing against my PC.  My guess is that some group of various 'anonymity' is DDoS'ing the servers, or another illicit overflow variant so they can push their own 'modified' update out to Avast clients; most likely the business ends but with how much of our lives our connected to us electronically, it could be aimed at home users too... and yes, that is just an opinion since I don't have access to the Avast server logs.

I did just recently post some exploits (the type and methodology behind them that is) happening on XBL and FB and Netflix (its a combined, multi-site technique similar to how MyCandianPharmacy used to make their web sites from multiple servers in Op:Ghost Click) which first led me to think this might just be me.  Apparently its not just me :D

There is s huge push at the end of each year by illicit hijackers so this isn't that big of a surprise.  Avast, let us know something if you would please.

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
I am happy to know it isn't a personal thing against my PC.  My guess is that some group of various 'anonymity' is DDoS'ing the servers, or another illicit overflow variant so they can push their own 'modified' update out to Avast clients; most likely the business ends but with how much of our lives our connected to us electronically, it could be aimed at home users too... and yes, that is just an opinion since I don't have access to the Avast server logs.

I did just recently post some exploits (the type and methodology behind them that is) happening on XBL and FB and Netflix (its a combined, multi-site technique similar to how MyCandianPharmacy used to make their web sites from multiple servers in Op:Ghost Click) which first led me to think this might just be me.  Apparently its not just me :D

There is s huge push at the end of each year by illicit hijackers so this isn't that big of a surprise.  Avast, let us know something if you would please.

Theres no official info yet available. If we even get any at some point.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »
I was having the same problem.  Here's how I fixed it:

Go here: https://www.avast.com/download-update

Download the manual update and run it.

Now up-to date.

Rob

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:26:57 PM »
I can download updates now, but really really slow.......

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »
Same problem in Germany!

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
I just manually installed it, was easier than waiting hours.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »
I would put money on it having to do with the new Avast Social Media tool in the 'my.avast' service.... just sayn.

And I want to add, I'm very impressed with this tool Avast Team.  It gave a thorough review of the possible ways, with a good explanation, of my data and its compromisability (new word of the day :P ).  These are things I have posted about for years (even on here).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
@ Uncle Bud,
You know what they say about assuming..... :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
Another one here! ::)