Author Topic: connection timeout  (Read 17074 times)

..::ReVaN::..

Re: connection timeout
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 11:46:23 PM »
I will just add a screenshot on how to block specific ports in Azureus i am sure it will be usefull :)

Regards,

Mikey

snarky

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »
The avast user of azureus has two choices:

1) the less desirable - exclude (the controlling process for azureus) javaw.exe in the [MailScanner] section of the avast4.ini file.

To me, this is the preferred option.  Why not exclude javaw.exe and azureus.exe from MailScanner?  Scanning BitTorrent protocol traffic with a POP3/NNTP scanner is pointless anyway.

2) the preferred option.

Establish yourself as an intermediate or advanced user in the Tools > Configuration wizard of azureus
In the Tools > Transfer window of azureus enter  into the box for "Ignore peers with these data ports":
25;110
at least and preferably
25;110;119;143
to avoid conflict with the avast Mail Scanner.

This, to me, is less desirable, since it prevents connections to peers with stupidly-chosen port numbers.  Yes, those peers shouldn't be using ports like 25 or 110, but sometimes you're shooting yourself in the foot by disallowing connections like this.

marciton

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 11:21:04 PM »
Both don't work for me ... Azeurus deseaper and I've timeout message from avast

I've read somthink like "We could change the Timeout" ...
how could we do this ?

snarky

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 11:25:41 PM »
Both don't work for me ... Azeurus deseaper and I've timeout message from avast
I've read somthink like "We could change the Timeout" ...
how could we do this ?

Changing a timeout isn't what you want to do if the problem has to do with a non-mail application using ports normally reserved for mail use.  Have you tried adding this to avast4.ini?

Code: [Select]
[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=azureus.exe,javaw.exe

But really, if you configure Azureus to listen on a port in the 5-digit range, and disallow it from connecting to peers that use 25,110,119, you should not be continuing to have trouble.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 05:22:08 AM »
The latest update of avast (to 4.7) automatically turns off the timeout that has been causing issues for users of azureus.

A poster above (somewhat critical of my earlier posting) said it makes no sense for the Internet Mail Scanner to be scanning an azureus peer to peer session - I agree with that.  While it is a "no brainer" to use the exclude option in the Mail Scanner for processes such as bitorrent.exe and utorrent.exe there is a bigger issue for azureus. 

azureus does not run under the process azureus.exe.  azureus is a java application and it runs under the controlling process of javaw.exe.  If the process javaw.exe is excluded then all java applications are excluded.  Now if there were a mail client running under java (yes - there is one) then it would be excluded too whether that was the intention or not. 

So the avast folks have turned off the timeout but, by and large, to avoid any extraneous issues it probably makes sense for most azureus users to use the option in the [Mail Scanner] section to exclude the process javaw.exe.  Then you can connect to other peers who tell you to connect on the well known mail ports without the Mail Scanner getting involved. 

snarky

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 04:49:06 PM »
azureus does not run under the process azureus.exe.  azureus is a java application and it runs under the controlling process of javaw.exe.

This is no longer completely true.  Beginning with version 2.3.0.6, released in November 22, 2005, Azureus runs as azureus.exe, not javaw.exe.