Author Topic: Piqued by pestering pop ups, and continual verification demands  (Read 2717 times)

REDACTED

Piqued by pestering pop ups, and continual verification demands
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
I recently joined Avast, having left a while ago, when it was giving me problems, firstly on free AV and then transferred to IS with a special offer. I'm sure that in the previous period of use AVAST was not half as pestering via pop ups to buy some extra service such as performance optimization.

If  I want a service I will get for myself from wherever I wish, so is there any way to slay Popup the awful dragon?

Verification seems an overkill, when one has actually logged on to the forum. I can understand its use  in other circumstances, bu with aging eyes it ain't helpful. So why?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Piqued by pestering pop ups, and continual verification demands
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »
As has been explained many times already, pop-ups can be en-/disabled in the paid versions of avast.
A "workaround" is selecting silent-/game mode.

The captcha is there the first three posts.
It is helping to keep a lot of flooders, spammers and other unwanted people away from the board.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
@ gordon32
If you have AIS then disable it avastUI > Settings > Popups - uncheck the 'Show popup offers for other Avast products' option.

@ Eddy
Wouldn't it have been just as easy to say that; forcing/suggesting searches is pretty pointless/time consuming (and you don't know if they did) when you know the answer and doesn't help the OP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Thank you both for your help. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
As has been explained many times already, pop-ups can be en-/disabled in the paid versions of avast.
A "workaround" is selecting silent-/game mode.

The captcha is there the first three posts.
It is helping to keep a lot of flooders, spammers and other unwanted people away from the board.

I have to disagree with that comment. I have no issues with popups and other annoying disturbances when using the free version (there is no free lunch, it's understood), but I dislike the hard sell mentality of the full product that seems to be increasing with every release. The main screen looks like a store front, not an anti-virus program, and the upgrade popups should not be there. Oh, and if I'm already in a rant mode, why does a product dedicated to keep the user's safety and privacy, has "usage sharing" options on by default (while telling me I've opted in for this...I didn't).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
Thank you both for your help. :)

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security