Author Topic: Disable Avast Advertising Pop-Ups?  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Amarand Agasi

• I'm just this guy, you know?
  • Computers/photography/psychology/writing/haiku!
    • Flickr Site
Disable Avast Advertising Pop-Ups?
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »
I own Avast Premiere licenses on my PC and was happy to see that the Avast Mac Security 2015 is free BUT, I do not like ad pop-ups.  I've been seeing Avast marketing pop-ups and I want to disable them.  I don't mind paying for this, mind you...but as my only option (with Avast on the Mac) is the Free version, I'd like to know if there's a way I can disable these pop-ups? I only want pop-ups relating to real problems, not a "gift" from Avast.  I see there's an option under Popups for "Updates," "Infos", "Warnings," and "Alerts." My guess is that these popups are considered "Infos" but I'd hate to disable those and disable something important.

Does anyone know where these marketing popups fall under, and is there a way to disable them without disabling other, potentially useful, items?

My recommendation to Avast: if I can't easily disable these, please make a premium version (heck, bundle it in with my licenses on the PC!) that doesn't have these offers/sales/deals that pop-up. I don't like them!

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Disable Avast Advertising Pop-Ups?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
I own Avast Premiere licenses on my PC and was happy to see that the Avast Mac Security 2015 is free BUT, I do not like ad pop-ups.  I've been seeing Avast marketing pop-ups and I want to disable them.  I don't mind paying for this, mind you...but as my only option (with Avast on the Mac) is the Free version, I'd like to know if there's a way I can disable these pop-ups? I only want pop-ups relating to real problems, not a "gift" from Avast.  I see there's an option under Popups for "Updates," "Infos", "Warnings," and "Alerts." My guess is that these popups are considered "Infos" but I'd hate to disable those and disable something important.

Does anyone know where these marketing popups fall under, and is there a way to disable them without disabling other, potentially useful, items?

My recommendation to Avast: if I can't easily disable these, please make a premium version (heck, bundle it in with my licenses on the PC!) that doesn't have these offers/sales/deals that pop-up. I don't like them!

All the marketing popups have a "Don't show again" button, that will disable them (for the product being advertised).

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
Hello,
  these "gift" pop-ups comes from the Avast SecureLine, the issue has been reported to a marketing department.

We are sorry for the intrusion, there is no straightforward way to disable this messaging at this moment. The messaging (and also a SecureLine license expiration messaging) is controlled with a DecisionInterval parameter in /Applications/AvastSecureLine.app/Contents/Info.plist, you can set a huge number there.

Best Regards,
  Martin

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
Any traction on this?  It's been a couple of months, and I just received another message:

I will check out the setting you talked about BUT, as a lot of Mac folks still need security, and are willing pay a little for it, I wonder if you guys could make a professional/paid version, or perhaps let us use one of our multi-PC licenses, to make all marketing go away, like with Avast Premiere? Just a simple slider to say no pop-ups for marketing?  It's really bad when your anti-virus is giving you pop-up ads, when you're trying to use your anti-virus program to avoid pop-up ads.

Thanks!

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »
We are sorry for the intrusion, there is no straightforward way to disable this messaging at this moment. The messaging (and also a SecureLine license expiration messaging) is controlled with a DecisionInterval parameter in /Applications/AvastSecureLine.app/Contents/Info.plist, you can set a huge number there.

Martin,

Thanks for the info. What would be a good example of a "huge number" we could put in that field?  It's already set to 43200 or something.  What is the maximum we could set without causing an error/overflow?

Thanks again!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »
BUT, as a lot of Mac folks still need security, and are willing pay a little for it, I wonder if you guys could make a professional/paid version...
A paid version (Avast Pro Mac Security) is available.
See: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB72
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
Any traction on this?  It's been a couple of months, and I just received another message:

I will check out the setting you talked about BUT, as a lot of Mac folks still need security, and are willing pay a little for it, I wonder if you guys could make a professional/paid version, or perhaps let us use one of our multi-PC licenses, to make all marketing go away, like with Avast Premiere? Just a simple slider to say no pop-ups for marketing?  It's really bad when your anti-virus is giving you pop-up ads, when you're trying to use your anti-virus program to avoid pop-up ads.

Thanks!

That popups are not from the Avast antivirus but from Avast SecureLine, which is a separate product, that is optionally installed with the antivirus. AFAIK there is no way how to disable that advertising popups in SecureLine, but if you do not use SecureLine, than you can simply uninstall it which solves your problem.

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:33 PM »
BUT, as a lot of Mac folks still need security, and are willing pay a little for it, I wonder if you guys could make a professional/paid version...
A paid version (Avast Pro Mac Security) is available.
See: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB72

I went through my reseller listed for Ohio and although they have a section for Mac and Linux, there's nothing there.  So perhaps not really available for sale yet?  Is there an easy/better way to buy it?

Offline Amarand Agasi

• Flickr Site
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »
That popups are not from the Avast antivirus but from Avast SecureLine, which is a separate product, that is optionally installed with the antivirus. AFAIK there is no way how to disable that advertising popups in SecureLine, but if you do not use SecureLine, than you can simply uninstall it which solves your problem.

I install Avast on clients computers all the time, mainly on the PC side.  One of the first things I do is perform a custom install and make sure SecureLine (and a few other features) are not checked off.  I'm very good at removing cruft (of which SecureLine is, IMHO).

When I install the Mac version of the antivirus, I'm feeling like there wasn't an option to not install that package. I also know that I would never knowingly install SecureLine as a separate product.

How did SecureLine get installed on my computer, and how can I remove it, so these pop-ups will go away?

One of my clients just texted me saying: "How do I make these pop-ups go away? I've been getting them every day.  I want you to uninstall this app from my computer!"  Gak. So now I have to go give the guy a freebie because he's upset.  Seriously?

Offline autumneden

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
I have been getting these pop ups daily on my Mac and it is super annoying that I can't click a button to have it never show up again.  I removed the application and hope that helps but still. Ick.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
Hi guys, regarding SecureLine post/ask here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=81.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0