Author Topic: ps2.exe crash  (Read 4709 times)

XtremeKirby

ps2.exe crash
« on: December 16, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »
Hello everyone here at avast! forum.

This application called ps2.exe always seem to crash 80% of the time at startup when I boot into my Windows desktop. An error reporting window appears telling me "ps2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." It is happening so often now. I did a bit of research on ps2.exe and it belongs to HP (and Compaq as well) for Multimedia Keyboards and Mouses. ps2.exe controls the multimedia buttons such as the internet button or shop button.

The thing is, I never ever actually used these buttons. Yes, they are located on top of my keyboard, but I never use them. Is it safe to disable this program from startup. I contacted HP for support, and they told me to reinstall the driver. I did that and the crash still happens. I'm also thinking that some other program is conflicting with ps2.exe so it crashes. I don't know, just a thought.

Well, I know this isn't avast! related, but could anyone help me anyways? It's very annoying for me to sent an error report almost every time.

Thanks. I posted the screenshot of the error report.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: ps2.exe crash
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 11:44:58 PM »
If you have winpatrol I would suggest disabling it in the start programmes initially, if this causes no adverse affects then I would be tempted to uninstall the programme.  If you don't need the fancy functions then I don't believe you need it.  If you don't have winpatrol  then go start - run- type in msconfig - enter - go to the start up tab and remove the tick next to the programme name.  Reboot and a warning about msconfig will come up select do not show again and as with winpatrol if this causes no adverse affects consider uninstalling
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:48:11 PM by essexboy »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »
I used to have a wireless desktop keyboard and I uninstalled the driver for it, I let windows find it again on reboot and select the best driver for it. The windows bog standard keyboard driver, it worked find, just no additional keys function (which I rarely ever used).

I'm not sure what the effect of disabling the ps2.exe on start-up will effect your keyboard, if that loads the drivers, etc. if they aren't running I don't know if you will simply have the default windows keyboard driver or none.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

XtremeKirby

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 02:49:02 AM »
Thanks your replies.

I do not use WinPatrol, so ps2.exe is not affected by it.

Can I attempt to block the application from starting with MS Antispyware? It has a block feature, so if anything goes wrong after blocking it, I can reverse the action and continue from there.

Thanks again. I try later and see what happens if the ps2.exe application is blocked.