Author Topic: Do gamers have their own firewall?  (Read 13585 times)

Umath

Re: Do gamers have their own firewall?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 02:47:01 PM »
If it were a Windows distribution :(

Also, Portable Fox is specially converted version of Firefox.  I wonder if Windows firewalls are designed to be used in this way in mind.  I liked the idea, though.  :P

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 02:58:14 PM »
Hi Umath,

A portable firewall for gamers, somebody will implement it, no sweat,
and if it is a success it will also mean the end of the hidden rootkit problem.
Umah, we wait for the one who ports this. Maybe Sasza is the one to do this
with some help from his friends. Never try, never gain a thing is a true saying in this old world.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Umath

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 03:08:38 PM »
Well, how about you, polonus? (chuckles)

Jokes aside, I tend to like lighter apps but I cannot think of a single firewall which can make heavy 3D online gamers happy.  Probably too many blotwares on Windows...

[Edit] Yes, I meant bloatware, which should be uncountable, too.  However, in my school days, I was tought that mail is uncountable although quite many native English speakers say "e-mails" nowadays...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 03:28:44 PM by Umath »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 03:20:03 PM »
Hi Umath,

Well I have seen that there is a lot being developed in the range of ported versions, a complete portable Open Office, a portable Antivirus program under development now, so why not a good lean firewall. Because it uses dma and is very cpu friendly. What you mean by blotware, do you mean bloatware?, and then yes, I fully agree with you, they do it all these days to keep Intel happy.

greets,

polonus

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 03:35:10 PM »
I think that having the Firewall on USB is the same as on another Partition or Disk...

On a CD, you have write protection, but the processes can also be killed, and listen the CD driver...

Until now, the firewall that use less system resources and delay connections, was CHX, but like I said required "some" knowledge and its Forum are very good when we need help... ;)

Some of you already use a HIPS program (I'm still waiting for a one that fits what I like...), and with these kind of firewalls (CHX or GhostWall), you will be very well protected with very low recources and speed!
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 03:43:32 PM »
Hi VPPC_CRW,

But ported for your pen drive your favourite firewall even uses less CPU, and has DMA. Fw on CD is safe, safe there be precautions, like no autorun etc. Else it burns down to the other story you read about sometimes that software FWs are mainly snake-oil, that will say the secure feeling of the green Z in the taskbar. But that cannot be but part of the story, because if you leave a default Win box without AV & FW connected for 10 minutes you are already compromised or on the way to be. So what is the truth here. Why I have come to this forum, is I want to get nearer to the FACTS, there are already so many MYTHS and MacMonkey-burger stories told. Who is to educate me or am I out on myself?

polonus
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 03:49:07 PM by polonus »

Arup

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »
CHX is inbound and at 2.8mb, very light and among the most secure being that the process itself is not visible under task manager. Even though inbound, it also allows outbound traffic control through specific port ranges and IPs.

The other low latency gaming and P2P option is to get gaming high NAT capacity routers like DSL Gaming models or Zyxel 500 series, both capable of running 16000 connections simultaneously.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 06:27:48 PM »
Hi Arup,

And what is a better solution, if you using this in combination with Bittrrent, you better switch to this solution or is not that allowed for your country. You an d ReVaN need this special video
box, you can safe P2P whatever you like, only I cannot see the entertainment industry applaudung. Go use Dutch lamabox:
http://www.lamabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=35&lang=en

Just a tip from Polonus

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
Hi Arup,

And what is a better solution, if you using this in combination with Bittrrent, you better switch to this solution or is not that allowed for your country. You an d ReVaN need this special video
box, you can safe P2P whatever you like, only I cannot see the entertainment industry applaudung. Go use Dutch lamabox:
http://www.lamabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=35&lang=en

Just a tip from Polonus

WOW sounds wonderful Damian it's just.... 279 euros!?!?! That's a little pricy don't you agree? I would rather buy a new motherboard and processor for that money but that's just me  i guess  ;D

Cheers

Mikey

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 08:57:53 PM »
Hi Miha,

It is is just to show in what direction it goes.
You should rather read this, and give your comment there.
Have you already experimented with the Ghostwall?
What is the best companion next to the Bittorent?
Some old fashioned people still advise P2Guardian, but that is a
resource hog in extensis. I think someone must come up with special filtering, or just an open software FW on an old machine,
a cheap, but if configured well a very stable bastion. Oh that link, here it is:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/bit_torrent_info/

greets,

polonus

PS Ot is Bit-Torrent not Bitter-Nuts ;D

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »
Hi Miha,

It is is just to show in what direction it goes.
You should rather read this, and give your comment there.
Have you already experimented with the Ghostwall?
What is the best companion next to the Bittorent?
Some old fashioned people still advise P2Guardian, but that is a
resource hog in extensis. I think someone must come up with special filtering, or just an open software FW on an old machine,
a cheap, but if configured well a very stable bastion. Oh that link, here it is:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/bit_torrent_info/

greets,

polonus

PS Ot is Bit-Torrent not Bitter-Nuts ;D

Yes i tried Ghostwall and i didn't like it...A little too simple for my liking.But i just have to say Damian that i don't game anymore the lack of spare time is killing me unfortunately.BTW i am currently trying out Comodo and it seems pretty good i have to say(ofcourse Kerio is still my first choice).

What do you mean companion to Bittorrent?I use Azureus as my torrent client.No need for PeerGuardian if you use that one.It has a nice plugin called SafePeer and it basically does the same job as PeerGuardian.Azureus also bans peers that send bad data see here:

Cheers

Mikey

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 12:22:17 AM »
Hi ReVaN,

All games have now a time limit built inside, because some guy died after 10 days of constant playing.

greets,

polonus

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 01:23:38 AM »
Hahahaha, lol x 10000000 !!!

I've also heard that. How stupid you have to be to play some game for 10 days (without even taking a pee break) and then die ? And worst of all, now all those software (game) houses have to make those changes... unbelievable. I wouldn't be too suprised if his mother sued all those software houses... again, easy money.

Worst of all, it looks like he had no real life, wife (girflriend, mistress, whatever), his regular job, every-day duties, real friends and everything else that comes with this life... I mean, I used to play those games, but it never even crossed my mind to forget about everything else valuable in this life.

Maybe he just tried to get his name into Guinness book or something... well, in one way he succeeded... first guy who played one game for 10 days, peed his pants more than 30 times, lost about 30 pounds, most smelly teeth (had no time to brush them) and few other things...  ::)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 02:21:55 PM »
And i thought i was crazy playing 48 hours straight once....Ofcourse it was a LAN party at my place and i wasn't alone.... But how dumb you have to be to play 10 days straight.  ::)