Author Topic: avast scan takes too long  (Read 15085 times)

Col Colt

Re: avast scan takes too long
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 10:06:35 PM »
CharlieO...I have an 80G HDD with about 58G left. I guess I don't recall avast taking that long before. I have it set to scan entire HDD and if it takes that long to do a through scan I guess I can live with it. It's just that it slows down any operation I may want to use (such as email) while it's scanning.

DavidR-Don't know how it changed if that's what it's suppose to be. I never changed it as I didn't know what it was anyway. Nevertheless, I'll uncheck that box, run a scan and see what happens.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 10:17:25 PM »
Hopefully restoring the ODBC database storage will resolve this (I believe in the Pro version this also is how your various settings are saved).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 10:34:12 PM »
That must not have been the answer as now there's nothing showing in the Sessions area nor is anything showing under Scheduler! Until I changed it there was all the sessions ran back until the time I got avast some months ago. Nothing shows now. Maybe I should check the box again as that must have been the way it was because as aforementioned, I didn't know what it was so, left it the way it was. By unchecking the box, I lost the sessions and scheduled tasks which was to just do a full scan, every Friday night at 7:00pm-that showed before but now is not.

Col Colt

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 10:38:42 PM »
OK-went back and checked the box and now I have everything back as before...except the last two scans I mentioned earlier. "Use XML storage instead of ODBC" is what it says in avast Pro and with that box checked I got the files back. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
That is what it says in the Home version also and effectively XML is now your database storage method, which doesn't make sense to me.

Obviously if you changed back to ODBC you wouldn't have any Sessions as they wouldn't be carried forward to the ODBC storage method, you would be starting with a blank sheet.

When you changed back to ODBC (unticked the box to restore the default) did you reboot?

Clutching at straws here have you ever had an errot relating to the following 'dbscreateobject' if so this may be why you switched to XML.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 02:13:42 AM »
No-Didn't reboot when changed to ODBC. The XML box was already ticked in the beginning and when I unchecked the box, I lost the files. I checked it again (without rebooting) and got the sessions back.

I don't know what  'dbscreateobject' is or how to check for that error. I never went into Troubleshooting until today to see what was ticked. That box was ticked by the program, I suppose.

I went into the Log viewer and checked under "Errors" and didn't see that one above. There were many AAVM-scanning errors showing for the past few months. Don't know what that is but, there's quite a few of them...hundreds, in fact under Application:1796, 1800, 1876.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 02:20:13 AM by Col Colt »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 03:15:51 AM »
Col Colt, the default storage method is ODBC... I was talking about this since from the beggining  :-[

If you ask which is better ODBC or XML? I'll say that for the Home version, they are equal. For the Professional version of avast!, XML is missing some functionality (compared to ODBC), so switching avast! Pro to XML storage is not a good idea: ODBC makes it possible to store the past sessions in the Professional version - which is not possible with XML. Appart from this, Enhanced User Interface behaves strange when switched to XML storage - when a task is started, another instance of it appears in the list (of the tasks, not of the corresponding sessions!). Alwil did not explore the problem deeper yet, so it could be a bug or just something caused by the inability to store additional info in the storage. Right now, XML storage is currently considered just a backup option for avast! Home.

So with Professional version, try to update the Jet drivers (MDAC package) and see if it helps (http://www.microsoft.com/data).
I downloaded the MDAC Utility: Component Checker...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en
My version is MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Windows XP SP2. No Problems were found.

There's also an MDAC/Jet repair tool: http://www.macropool.com/en/download/mdac.html#Repair
The best things in life are free.

Col Colt

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 04:14:12 AM »
If the box is not checked that says, "Use XML storage instead of ODBC" I have no sessions stored nor is there anything in the scheduler. That box was always ticked to the best of my knowledge...I never changed it. until earlier this evening and when I did-all was gone and that's why I changed it back the way it was.

I'll try the MDAC Utility and see what happens. This is sort of weird as up until a couple of weeks ago, the Sessions had always recorded a scan.

Col Colt

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 04:35:10 AM »
There must not be any problem as I ran the Component Checker 2.0 and it indicated the "product releases were matched...MDAC 2.7 SP1 on Windows XP SP1". So...I think it's time to call it a night! This ol' timer is gettin' plum tared". Thanks and perhaps something will come up later on this.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »
I notice from previous posts that Col Colt reported installing avast Pro over the top of avast Home. 

Maybe the avast team can advise if XML had been set in preference to ODBC in the Home edition and then the Pro edition was installed over the Home edition should this setting have been changed by the installation process? 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 05:48:15 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 01:08:20 PM »
I notice from previous posts that Col Colt reported installing avast Pro over the top of avast Home. 

Maybe the avast team can advise if XML had been set in preference to ODBC in the Home edition and then the Pro edition was installed over the Home edition should this setting have been changed by the installation process? 
Very good observation Alan...
In fact, this could happen. Hope Alwil team is seeing this thread  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »
As far as I remember both Home and Pro have the default database set as ODBC, certainly that was the case with previous versions, so I doubt this was the issue with Col Colt when he updated to Pro.

I can't say if that is still the same with the latest versions using ODBC as the default.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 05:08:38 PM »
If the box is not checked that says, "Use XML storage instead of ODBC" I have no sessions stored nor is there anything in the scheduler. That box was always ticked to the best of my knowledge...I never changed it. until earlier this evening and when I did-all was gone and that's why I changed it back the way it was.

I'll try the MDAC Utility and see what happens. This is sort of weird as up until a couple of weeks ago, the Sessions had always recorded a scan.
As I said previously moving from XML as the stroage method to OBDC storage, there would be no data there to show, a clean slate.

Re 'dbscreateobject'
For many this type of error is displayed on startup and one of the way to recolve it is changing the database storage method to XML (not reccommended for Pro version), if you had that error you would probably have remembered it.

If after switching back to ODBC on reboot you may have got this error, in which case updating the MDAC would be required to be able to use ODBC.

Col Colt

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 06:25:52 PM »
I don't recall installing the Pro version over Home but, that's very likely. I've had the Pro version for some time now...certainly longer than the past month. This problem occured after the Dec 2nd scan was done, which was the last time Sessions was recorded. From that point on, don't know what happened. I do know that all had been recorded from when I first installed avast, which was back around the early part of June this year.There is four sessions recorded for each month(set up sessions for each Friday night) from that point until the month of December when it quit after the 2nd.

As for that error, 'dbscreateobject'-I don't recall ever seeing it at any point.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 08:28:40 PM »
This problem occured after the Dec 2nd scan was done, which was the last time Sessions was recorded.
How many days you've set to store the sessions into the Professional version settings?
Did you change for a while for few days?