Author Topic: Scan for network threats finds unknown device:  (Read 4724 times)

REDACTED

Scan for network threats finds unknown device:
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
Hi,
My system is Windows 7 SP1 with Avast 2016 Free (up to date).
As part of my regular weekly system checks, I do a full system scan, browser add-ons check, outdated software check and network threat check.  Today I carried out this routine and no threats were found but the network threat scan did reveal an additional but unknown device (but detected no problems with it).

The only changes I have made, since the previous scans, are to set up two Puppy Linux live disks (Precise 5.7.1 and Slacky 6.3.0) and to save the associated save files etc. to my data file partition.  Is it possible that the new unidentified device relates to one or both of the Puppy save files as the Puppy distributions are virtually additional computers connected to my router?

I am relieved that no threat has been detected and everything appears to be working correctly but am a bit anxious in case some sort of malware has slipped through my security.

In addition to the Avast scans, I have scanned with the stand alone Malwarebytes version which also reports no threats.

Any comments and advice would be much appreciate.  Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Scan for network threats finds unknown device:
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
What did the mysterious avast message say?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
What did the mysterious avast message say?
Hi Pondus,
That was a quick response!

The Avast report just listed three devices as follows:

1: my computer with its IP address, Mac address and a "no services detected" message;
2: my modem/router with its IP address, Mac address and the detected service;
3: the unknown device with its IP address, Mac address and a "no services detected" message.
Each list item received a green tick with the message "no problems found on this device".
I also received a general "Congratulations ...... " message.

The mystery has now deepened as I ran the 'Network Threat' scan while I was typing this replay and guess what, that unknown device was not listed although it appeared in two other scans I ran after it was first detected this morning.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
UPDATE:
To Pondus and others who have read my post, I owe you an apology.  I have solved the problem which was actually no problem at all - I just panicked a bit. 

The unknown device was my elderly XP desktop computer which is configured to dual boot XP or Puppy Precise 5.7.1.  XP is disconnected from the network but Puppy is connected.  Unusually I had the older computer running with Puppy booted at the time I set Avast to scan my Windows 7 computer.  I've never had both systems running during an Avast scan before so seeing the unknown devise took me by surprise and I didn't cotton on for a while.  Further tests have proved what was happening.

So there is no problem and my issue is resolved.  Regards and a Happy New Year to all forum members.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »
Panic is a real bad advisor ;)

Good to hear you found out what it is and thanks for lettings us know.