Author Topic: New Avast!  (Read 10280 times)

sears54

New Avast!
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:58:25 AM »
Is there a new version of Avast 4 Home version..

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:New Avast!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 02:02:17 AM »
yes there is 4.1.304  :D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 02:03:11 AM »
Is there a new version of Avast 4 Home version..

Yes (or not) depends on which one do you have right now...
avast Home is on its 4.1.304 version right now (26th November 2003).
The virus database (VPS) is number 0311-0 from 25th November 2003.

Click on the About dialog and see which ones do you have  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 02:08:46 AM »
yes the avast team has been very busy  ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

midway

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 02:28:35 AM »
 How do I get 4.1.304? I saw a popup about a new version (I have Home free version 4.1.289) but it disappeared before I could do anything with it. I went to Program Update by right-clicking the a-icon in the taskbar and it looked to me like it started downloading one of the pro versions.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 03:31:18 AM »
midway,

Simple to check.  Right click on the A icon in the tray and open up About Avast.
In the panel information, you will see the build and version installed towards the top, and the VPS update towards the bottom

If you need to update, then use the Update Program function which is found by using the same icon.

When you use the Program update, Avast will search for, download and install any new version AND the most current database.

When you use the Iavs update, Avast will search for, and download a new db if available.

I like to set my Avast to auto download both Program and db updates.
This can be set in the Settings menu of Avast.

Good luck
techie
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 03:33:39 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 11:42:45 AM »
How do I get 4.1.304? I saw a popup about a new version (I have Home free version 4.1.289) but it disappeared before I could do anything with it. I went to Program Update by right-clicking the a-icon in the taskbar and it looked to me like it started downloading one of the pro versions.

midway, techie is correct (as usual  ;D). If you update the program, it will be detected your version and if you have Home/Profesional version... Everythink works automatically and easy...  8)

midway

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 04:43:34 PM »
 Thanks for the replies. I'm still confused, but I guess I have the latest updates. That pop-up occured again this morning and this time I was quick enough to click it. Up came a listing of stuff. Before I could read it all, it disappeared. I checked my version and found that it now is 4.1.304. I don't really know how that happened.
 Then came your two replies. I checked my settings and found that I have checked for automatic db updates, but for "ask" on program updates. So I changed to automatic program updates as well. Did I mention I have a dial-up modem? I found a spot in the settings to check that, also.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 05:28:49 PM »
[quote author=Technical
midway, techie is correct (as usual  ;D). If you update the program, it will be detected your version and if you have Home/Profesional version... Everythink works automatically and easy...  8)

Technical,Stop buttering me up.  ;D  Your Xmas present will be the same size. hahaha

Midway,
Don't be confused.  I will try to give you a simple explanation or Technical gets on my case for long posts.  :(
The blue pop up box is the Avast information panel which comes up after Avast updates either program or db.
You have to be quick to click on it sometimes, but if you can't read it, then follow my instructions of right clicking the A ball in the tray, and look for About Avast.  The info panel will open containing all the registration information, Program version and build, as well as your initial registration key (which I would copy down somewhere) and then the VPS (database) version.

Still confused?  IM me or email me and we can get in to it off board.  Ok>?

Good luck
techie

midway

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 05:38:39 PM »
 Not a bit confused anymore, thanks to you folks! I had seen a pop-up box several times before, but it always chimed and a voice told me avast! had just been updated. The box I mentioned in this thread didn't have any sound. But all is well; I followed your instructions and saw all the info you told me about. Good idea about saving the key somewhere. Thanks once again! Have a great day.

techie101

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 10:03:38 PM »
midway,

The 'silent' box you received was to inform you that a new version of Avast was available.  There is no audio normally.  VPS updates will have audio applied which is by default.
As far as I know, there is no provision within Avast to have sound with the Program update.

Anyway, Avast will treat you right!

techie
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 10:06:36 PM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 01:39:20 AM »
As far as I know, there is no provision within Avast to have sound with the Program update.
techie

Unless there are both a program and a VPS update... simultaneously!  ;D