Author Topic: Avast Password Protection Changed [Resolved]  (Read 2260 times)

REDACTED

Avast Password Protection Changed [Resolved]
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:01:57 PM »
I have a purchased version of Avast.  I bought it because my family is being targeted by a stalker that has been hacking our iphones and turning the computer cameras and microphones remotely.  I used Avast and another anti-malware program to scan the computer for any malware and then turned all the inbounding and outbounding firewalls to maximum protection.

I also took the extra step of password protecting the avast program so that no changes can be made to it.  Today, I tried to access the program, and found that my password had been changed.  This could not have been done by any other user because I am the only one that lives in this house and uses this computer.

Now I have no access to avast, and the website says that it is offline.  is there anything I can do to regain access again?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:21:10 PM by Avast User444 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Password Protection Changed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
Only way to recover a lost password is to perform a clean installation of avast.

- Download the full installer for the version you want ( https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179855.0 )
- Remove avast through control panel
- Run avastclear ( http://www.ache.nl for links to tools/instructions )
- Reboot
- Install avast

You may need to reboot a few times after installing.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:20:02 PM »
I can not remove avast using the control panel.  It prompts me for the password that was changed.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
I can not remove avast using the control panel.  It prompts me for the password that was changed.

Download the Avast Uninstall tool, run it and when asked click 'YES', let it run in SafeMode
https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:03:41 PM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

Re: Avast Password Protection Changed [Resolved]
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »
I was unable to download avastclear, it kept giving me network errors.  I was able to download another copy of avast for a clean install.  What I did was try to install avast a second time.  It made me reboot like 3 times, and then when I went to uninstall it, it asked me for the password again - and this time, it worked.

I removed all copies of avast using the control panel in this way, and then reinstalled it from the file I downloaded.  I password protected any changes to it again, this time with a longer password.

I have no idea how something like this happened.  Who knows if it was a glitch or not, but hopefully just a glitch.  Thank you all for your help. For someone in my situation, you have no idea how grateful I am.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast Password Protection Changed [Resolved]
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
You're welcome, there is always help available on the forum ;)