Author Topic: USB Data Vanishes and USB goes from Removable to Rescue It was not a Rescue USB  (Read 2070 times)

REDACTED

Hello

I have Avast, I have 2USBs. 

Avast pop up promoted anti virus product to USB and instructions regarding. 

I clicked one tag said USB option.  I noted the instructions and in it said putting rescue data to USB removes all other files etc.  So Before and at this point going any further.  I removed USB A. as it had data on it.

Placed another USB B and in another slot just in case there was a cross recognition removing and replacing.

The top file is Boot
then goes on with various combination of letters ie: cs-cz     pt-br
quarter way down a file called 'rescue'

I could not have done more. 

I then followed the instructions, I had to confirm etc. re putting on to USB Data, it did its thing etc and complete.

I took out the USB B.

I carried on with first USB A.  While busy working on copying items. the open file closed off screen.
When I tried to get them back. The make up of the USB A. completely changed.  It had a long list of files. And was coming up as Rescue Disk F.  From Removable to Rescue with data vanished that had been working away on for good while.  In its place something makes no sense. 

The only connection to word 'Rescue Disk' was the instruction for the other USB which was not in the system when that process took place.

I looked up forums on off chance some other random coincidence I installed MCShield.  It said nothing, no problem, nothing detected?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
It seems that you did not aborted the creation of the rescue disk before taking the stick out.
Unless you have a backup of the data, consider it lost.

By switching the usb sticks while there was still activity, you messed things up.
Otherwise I do not see a problem.

REDACTED

Hello
Thank you for reply.

There is a big problem.  The USB was never initiated to be the rescue nor did it take part in any formating or first steps.  There was no means or connection by which to abort as it had not been involved in any initiating stage except to coincide with timing of when pop up appeared. Other than a pop up info and USB option.  At no stage was it involved. No selection, no confirmation, nothing connected other than in the computer at pop up time. Hence, explaining it was immediately removed Before any activity took place.   

If there was anything I could re do it was, nothing, to prevent this.  That is a big problem.  I have waited for 2 weeks for USB delivered by hand, it arrived today and now behind time in completing work.

It was removed immediately on reading the pop up and another put in.  I even on precaution changed the input socket. 

There was no problem, the info downloaded to the replaced for rescue purpose USB.  Removed.  The work USB put back when all was closed finished.  And it worked and I continued to copy over files, was all working away when this happened, it all just vanished, and became a Rescue Disk.

The problem is very very serious fault somewhere and it is not anything I could have done redone apart from as soon as seeing the pop up x it as insecure option.  I could not have taken out the USB before seeing the pop up as I would have had to predict this problem with USB. 

I know it is not your problem and I accept your explanation, I suspected it was this serious when wording changed to Rescue Disk. 

To be certain, and in hope I could do something,  I posted and you confirm. 

Obviously I dont see this as ok by any means, on the contrary.  Needs urgent and serious attention.  It accepted the USB without any  initiation  or selection as a USB that is to be initiated regardless of any action required to suggest. 

I know computers, are not as smart as it is put about, but due to serious nature of removing data  think this should be fixed, asap

Thank you 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
There was no means or connection by which to abort as it had not been involved in any initiating stage except to coincide with timing of when pop up appeared.
Yes there was. The warning that everything will be wiped is only shown after you selected "create a rescue disk/usb". avast doesn't just do it on its own/out of the blue.
Hence, explaining it was immediately removed Before any activity took place.
No it was not. You removed the stick after the warning. That means certain activity was already initiated by you.
If there was anything I could re do it was, nothing, to prevent this.
Yes, you could have done something to prevent it. Namely not attaching a stick with data you don't want to loose.
I have waited for 2 weeks for USB delivered by hand, it arrived today and now behind time in completing work.
Nothing I (or anyone else) can do about that.
I could not have taken out the USB before seeing the pop up as I would have had to predict this problem with USB.
Ofcourse you could and should have "predict" that the content of the stick would be overwritten. The option clearly says created a rescue disk/usb, not add thing to a disk/usb stick.
think this should be fixed, asap
There is nothing to fix since there is nothing wrong.

It is plain and simple.
You made a mistake (as I and all other humans do at times).
Learn to live with it.