Author Topic: Avast startup (win98, dialup, Mozilla, ZoneAlarm, ics client)  (Read 6729 times)

dmshiff

Re: Avast startup (win98, dialup, Mozilla, ZoneAlarm, ics client)
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »
Last night I received a notice of a program update on my DESKTOP machine, which has direct access to the network through its modem and uses Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing to provide access to the machine I am using now.  I installed and restarted the desktop (ICS) machine without any problems.  Of course, I had to respond to a number of notices from ZoneAlarm about the new AVAST programs. 

This morning, once again on my laptop machine AVAST FAILED to start resident protection, display its icons in the system tray, ior display a notice about the program update.  Ashmaisv and Ashwebsv WERE BOTH running, according to the task list, but neither web pages nor Emails were being scanned - I received about 8 Emails before I could check the header to see the "not scanned" status, even though the virus database was fully up-to-date. 

I started AVAST from the program list, and observed that resident protection was DISABLED again, although the Icons did appear at this point.  I RESET the resident protection to standard and restarted Email, and observed that the rest of my Email was checked. 

I downloaded the latest program update (using the program update on the menu) and installed it, and am about to test its startup behavior.  I will update this with results in a few minutes.  Right now I have little confidence that all of my Email and browsing will be checked, if I do not check each message myself. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast startup (win98, dialup, Mozilla, ZoneAlarm, ics client)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 05:17:38 PM »
I had to respond to a number of notices from ZoneAlarm about the new AVAST programs.
Normal behavior... 

This morning, once again on my laptop machine AVAST FAILED to start resident protection
This could happen by firewall blocking. Can you remove all avast items from the firewall settings and wait ZoneAlarm ask again for them?
Sometimes, repairing avast installation through Control Panel > Add/Remove programs could help too.
The best things in life are free.