Author Topic: Virus database - what does it include  (Read 3847 times)

gourken

Virus database - what does it include
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:42:30 AM »
I wanted to find out if the virus database (iAVS) covered the Dasher.B worm.  When I look at the virus information part of the AVAST site, it does not seem to include this worm or its variants.  How do the database maintainers identify new viruses and worms in the wild?  Do they use standard naming conventions?   ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus database - what does it include
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:49:41 AM »
How do the database maintainers identify new viruses and worms in the wild?
Unfortunately there is a delay from a new virus being detected to being included in this database.
Submition, research, public alarms, other companies agreements, etc. are the ways to get them.

Do they use standard naming conventions?   ???
There isn't an international convention for virus names.
Some 'translation' list of virus names you can find here: http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/index.xml
Other possibility is going to www.av-test.org page and download the virus in-the-wild correspondence between the antivirus softwares.
The best things in life are free.

gourken

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 04:56:30 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I was concerned because of the news reports about the worm hitting the internet this week.  McAffee and Symantec have covered it in their latest virus databases, and I wanted to see if AVAST had it covered yet.  I love AVAST!, especially that it is free for home/non comercial use, and that it supports 64 bit architectures.  Do you know if the developers/maintainers are members of any of the international virus tracking groups?

Thanks again for the help :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 08:38:51 PM »
Do you know if the developers/maintainers are members of any of the international virus tracking groups?
I'm quite sure about this...
They could post the name of international agreements they've done  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:07:32 PM »
Of course, we're the members of all AV organizations out there (you name it - AVAR, Eicar, Wildlist etc etc.).
Pavel Baudis (our head of virus lab) is also in the editorial board of the Virus Bulletin magazine.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Starfighter

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 05:00:28 AM »
I always wondered... who creates these viruses anyway?   Some psychopaths locked up in a cave somewhere?  I mean, what's the point anyway... why not spend more time doing something more challenging, like creating software to solve the meaning of life?   ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Starfighter

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »
Thanks Vlk   :D

The very first hit on Google was a  great article (the Foobar one)...  So I've learned that viruses are often created by nerds (with too short pants and pen pocket protectors and black laboratory styled eyeglasses), male, and usually up to age 25.  Presumably after age 25 they then move out of their parent's basement and get a life...   ;)     Probably making tons of money by putting their skills to use by working for a company that produces spyware and adware...   >:(     Although maybe some end up seeking salvation by working for the forces of good i.e. anti-spyware/virus companies?!   ;)