Author Topic: boot time scan doesn't detect viruses known to be present  (Read 6381 times)

vajra

boot time scan doesn't detect viruses known to be present
« on: December 18, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
I decided to do a boot time scan to check out my whole system as i have been having some strange problems. It doesn't detect any viruses at all & yet I know I have some infected attachments from emails that i haven't yet deleted. When i scan those files avast detects the viruses. (which are all in zip files)

So the boot time scan doesn't seem to be working. I also get loads of error messages about files with restricted access that the boot-time scan can't open but they don't include the infected files.

Any idea what is going on? Could a worm or virus be interfering with avast-boot-time? :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: boot time scan doesn't detect viruses known to be present
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
I know I have some infected attachments from emails that i haven't yet deleted. When i scan those files avast detects the viruses. (which are all in zip files). So the boot time scan doesn't seem to be working.
Depends where the zip file is allocated... Inside the dbx file (Outlook Express) or other email client? Is the zip file passworded?
Did you check for archive scanning at boot time?

I also get loads of error messages about files with restricted access that the boot-time scan can't open but they don't include the infected files.
Where are they not included? In the on-demand scanning (normal one, into Windows)?
Restricted access is not infected by default...
The best things in life are free.

vajra

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »
Depends where the zip file is allocated... Inside the dbx file (Outlook Express) or other email client? Is the zip file passworded?
don't use outlook... eudora. so the attachments are spearated from the emails & palced in their own directory where you can open them like a nomrla file. no there is no password
Where are they not included? In the on-demand scanning (normal one, into Windows)?
Restricted access is not infected by default...
not usre i understand what you're asking, but they are all of this pattern...
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\wbemtest.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\winhstb.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\winmgmt.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\wmiprov.dll Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}

which gives me the impression that it has nothing to do with my problem.

where do i do that?
that is probably my problem!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »
In fact, these files have nothing to do with your problem.

where do i do that?
that is probably my problem!
When you schedule a boot time scanning just click in the 'Scan archive files' option.
You have more into 'Advanced options'.

vajra

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 02:27:25 PM »
When you schedule a boot time scanning just click in the 'Scan archive files' option.
You have more into 'Advanced options'.
Ok got it now & it has found the viruses!

One more question... if I do a boot time scan, are there any viruses or worms that can evade it or is that a garunteed way of checking that my system is clean?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 02:35:09 PM »
If I do a boot time scan, are there any viruses or worms that can evade it or is that a garunteed way of checking that my system is clean?
Most probably you'll be clean.
There is always the sad possibility of some archive file type there is not supported by avast at boot time (only into Windows), etc.
But, generally, you should not worry  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 04:20:08 PM »
not usre i understand what you're asking, but they are all of this pattern...
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\wbemtest.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\winhstb.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\winmgmt.exe Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}
File C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\wmiprov.dll Error 0xC0000022 {Acceso denegado}

As Tech said this is not the problem, this is just a report on files that couldn't be scanned and the reason why, denying access to these hidden (read only) files  in this case. If you checked that location in Explorer, you would either not see them or if you enabled show hidden and system files, they would appear but as a faint colour.

Hopfully you are on the way to being in the clear.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »
 :) Vajra :

You need more than just 1 antivirus program to increase
      your chances of being clean; at a minimum you should
      have an antiSPYWARE program, an antiTROJAN program
      and a firewall. See "Newbie and Oldie's list" at :
      http://members.accessbee.com/mitch/PhantomPhixer.html
      for good & FREE programs to increase security on your
      computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »
You need more than just 1 antivirus program to increase your chances of being clean
I know what you mean but to avoid misunderstandings, I think it's better call antispyware or antimalware programs.
Otherwise you'll see users having conflicts with more than one antivirus resident in their computers  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »
Hi Vajra,

Yes Tech is right here. Never have more than one resident
anti virus product on your computer. If you want extra protection against the latest viruses, you can do the following, upload the latest version of stinger.exe and scan your computer with it, download the latest version of Dr. Webcureit, and scan your computer with it, you can also run this from a memory key or flash disk if you prefer. You can have an online-scan, a good one for that is for instance BitDefender 9, or in case you want a permanent open source virus solution with daily updates on your computer next to your resident scanner, you download the latest version of ClamWin and update this. To have you anti-virus solution always with you and frequently updated on their servers, you can choose to install DrWeb's free hyperlink-scanner to scan all clickable links before you decide to go there, good in-browser security. This add-on is downloadable from DrWeb's page free services for IE, Opera,
Firefox and Flock browsers. If in doubt about a specific file you can scan online against various virus solutions at Jotti's.
So you see if you would like you need not miss the next one around,

greets,

polonus

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 08:08:05 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 01:09:37 AM »
This add-on is downloadable from DrWeb's page free services for IE, Opera, Firefox and Flock browsers.
Yeah but with Linux the window (results) opened is on Russian  :'(