Author Topic: concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe  (Read 14042 times)

REDACTED

It's new with my use of avast in thunderbird; (concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:thunderbird.exe[50])
I do manage several mail accounts with Thunderbird ... where may I find a solution ?
make some change with an ini.file , wich one ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
What exact version of avast ?
What exact version of Thunderbird ?
What OS/SP ?

REDACTED

Free version 11.1.2245
data 160106-1
Windows 8
Thunderbird 31.4.0 I'm allready upgrading this to 38.5.0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:04:23 PM by daybay »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Do you also use a newsreader function in thunderbird as that can literally eat all connections. Thought the error is only reporting thunderbird.exe.

You could try this old option which was used in much earlier avast versions. Not sure if it would still work, but worth a shot. - Concurrent Connections Error: You could modify the EmailShield.ini file using notepad, C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista, Win7 or later), this location may be hidden, depending on your windows explorer settings (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View).

Find the [EmailScanner] section and insert a new line after the section heading, and enter this MaxConnections=75 (if that line exists you can change the value to 75). Save the changes, the avast self-defence will ask if it is OK answer yes.

[EmailScanner]
MaxConnections=75

The default concurrent connection limit is 50 (for mail & news together). This limit exists not to save resources, but to prevent connection looping in strange configurations, so the user can increase it without worry to, for instance, 75. The value 0 disables the limit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline autospecs

Tried this and it wont let me save the file, says denied.

Interfering with my daily activity now too much please provide a fix, or I will be deleting this software and not renewing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Did you use windows notepad, that is the only text editor that would be allowed ?

If so try disabling the avast self-defence module before the edit.

As this is an old topic and as I said "You could try this old option which was used in much earlier avast versions. Not sure if it would still work, but worth a shot."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer

Interfering with my daily activity now too much please provide a fix, or I will be deleting this software and not renewing.

It's also worth noting that we're not Avast! engineers. We're volunteers with relevant knowledge.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity

It's also worth noting that we're not Avast! engineers. We're volunteers with relevant knowledge.
Sometimes that knowledge isn't as relevant as we'd like. :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline psandor

Hello!

This post helped me out a year ago, I modified the value to a 100, but now I have the same issue again after a recent Avast update.
The settings from these .ini files have been moved to the registry. At first I thought it might not have copied the modified value, but it did.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner I have a string called 'MaxConnections' and the value is set to '100'. Exactly how I set it in the .ini file.

I searched again for this error, but I only found the old ones about the .ini file. I didn't find anything so far that could help me.
I modified it to 150 now, hoping it just didn't apply since the update, but the error message stated 50 just like before, so I assume the problem is that the MaxConnections variable was removed or renamed and it won't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline psandor

Hi, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237546.0

Thank you for the quick reply.

It states that "The names and meaning of all setting section remain the same." If I understand correctly, hopefully this setting should still work. I need to test it more, thank you!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline psandor

Now I can definitely say that 'MaxConnections' setting in the registry isn't working as it was in the .ini file, because the error message still states that Thunderbird made 50 connections.
I'm still working on the issue, so I accept any help, but in the meantime I'll try to remedy it in Thunderbird, since this little hack no longer works for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Now I can definitely say that 'MaxConnections' setting in the registry isn't working as it was in the .ini file, because the error message still states that Thunderbird made 50 connections.
I'm still working on the issue, so I accept any help, but in the meantime I'll try to remedy it in Thunderbird, since this little hack no longer works for me.

Where did you find this MaxConnections setting in the registry ?  As I can't see it in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner location 

If you added/created it what values did you set and where ?
I believe you would also need to do a restart for these to take effect.

Offline psandor

Where did you find this MaxConnections setting in the registry ?  As I can't see it in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner location 

If you added/created it what values did you set and where ?
I believe you would also need to do a restart for these to take effect.

There is none on my personal computer, so it's like the .ini file, you have to add it first, but the computer I used this hack on already had the values copied from the file by Avast when the update happened I guess.
It was already set to '100' just how I added in the .ini file. Now I set it to 150 to see if maybe it just didn't apply or something, and the computer was restarted multiple times since then.

I want to also thank you for the initial help, even if you were not answering to me back then, but for the past year the .ini modification worked perfectly on that computer.

edit: Oh, sorry I didn't say where the value is, but it is exactly where you wrote it should be.
It's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner
also in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Avast Software\Avast\properties\EmailShield\EmailScanner, but AFAIK that's just a copy.

edit2: Uploaded a picture, this is from my PC for testing purposes only, so I added it here manually, but the other computer had the string and value there already when I looked.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:25:32 AM by psandor »