Author Topic: Be very careful Avast!  (Read 3143 times)

REDACTED

Be very careful Avast!
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
I am one of the early users of Avast!  I've even traveled to Prague to see where the home office is located.  I've promoted Avast! to my friends for years.  But I'm getting worried:

The reason I loved Avast! besides the obvious in protection was the smallness of the program and the fact that it was unobtrusive. (never seeking attention like the others)  As time goes on however, it's seems that Avast! is getting bigger and more obtrusive.  If this continues, especially if Avast! starts bombarding me with offers  (in effect spam) I will go in search for another smaller program.

I hope the engineers at Avast! realize why we all downloaded it to start with, and remembers to keep the program doing it's great job, and nothing more!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Be very careful Avast!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:41:35 PM »
Well, avast (the application) can stay small but it will not be able to detect the newest harmful things.
You can select what parts of avast you want to use (have installed) or not.

The engineers are still doing a great job, but they are not the ones who decide about the business model the company is using.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
Just like Eddy I also adviced to do a custom install and only install that what you really need to have and nothing more or less.
It has been a policy for a long time of software vendors to hand down the full "kaboodle" to prevent initial claims of the software not being complete, and bloatness comes as a result.
Agree with your view that it is not Avast Team and Avast Development at the culprit of this developments, but it seems that the Commerce and Marketing Department calls the shots at the company. This is not an isolated issue as we see it develop all over the digital world, but when taken to extremes it can be a serious drawback and backfire grand time when you forget your user base and only use your end-users as a "product" to an end.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
If interested, Avast 2015: Change, add, or remove individual program components 

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

These instructions also can apply to Avast 2016 :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:27:05 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 12:36:04 AM »
Hi schmidthouse,

Thanks for that link, can be really helpful for those that want to custom install our favorite AV software.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:09 AM »
That link appears broken - perhaps the underlining - and the URL tag appears broken, it should be https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »
That link appears broken - perhaps the underlining - and the URL tag appears broken, it should be https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

Thanks David, fix now.
Not sure what happened. ;D

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »
Well, avast (the application) can stay small but it will not be able to detect the newest harmful things.
You can select what parts of avast you want to use (have installed) or not.

The engineers are still doing a great job, but they are not the ones who decide about the business model the company is using.
Agreed!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin