Author Topic: How te be sure???  (Read 12218 times)

trigger

How te be sure???
« on: December 19, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »
Haow can I make sure the transparent mail checking works? I reset the mail program, noted the forwarded ports in the avast setup, but when I download mail, I can see nothing happening. Is there a way to "see" avast doing it's work?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How te be sure???
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:20:34 PM »
1. Check the Detailed view of the Internet Mail provider, the last scanned: should show the email and the scanned count: it should increase.

2. Check the email headers it should be adding the anti-virus check as it did in the non-transparent method.

3. Try sending a test email - http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 05:21:41 PM »
Haow can I make sure the transparent mail checking works? I reset the mail program, noted the forwarded ports in the avast setup, but when I download mail, I can see nothing happening. Is there a way to "see" avast doing it's work?
You can check the option 'icon' on system tray while scanning (Advanced page ot the providers settings).
You can test it with www.eicar.org files (sending and receiving).
You can add a note at the end of the messages (emails bodies).
The best things in life are free.

trigger

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »
In that case, I did something wrong... I did add the notification, but it does not appear in the mail, also the count does not increase... Is there a step by step howto switch from the localhost way to the transparent way?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:14:01 PM »
I'm making an assumption you now have an OS that supports Transparent scanning of email, such as WinNT, Win2000, WinXP?

If so if you upgraded from say win98 then you would need to uninstall, reboot and install avast as there are differences.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trigger

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:33:21 AM »
Sorry, yes, I run Windows XP. Should have mentioned that before... Also I run Spampal for spam filtering. That also runs in tranparent mode and appears to be working. Is it possible they can not work simultaniously?

Peter

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 10:31:41 AM »
Perhaps you can help us with the email client you are using and confirmation that you are accessing your email server on port 110. 

Is spampal setting up any kind of proxy for the accessing of your email?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:34:02 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:47:56 AM »
Ignore my last question. 

The instructions for setting up spampal tell you to set your server to localhost (127.0.0.1) and your account to myaccount@myisp.server.com or something rather like that.

Is that how you have configured your mail client? 

Is the port setting on your POP3 mail client still 110? 

If the answer to the above questions is yes then you need to go to the Internet Mail scanner of avast! select the Redirect tab and uncheck the Ignore local communication box to have your incoming mail scanned by avast!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 11:39:23 AM »
Also I run Spampal for spam filtering. That also runs in tranparent mode and appears to be working.
No Peter, Spampal uses localhost as a proxy server to check your mail (and separate spam).
Check Spampal help files (or website). Or, even, see something related here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3413

trigger

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »
No Tech, starting with, I think version 1.70, Spampal supports transparrent scanning.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 12:51:58 PM »
No Tech, starting with, I think version 1.70, Spampal supports transparrent scanning.
Oh, good to know... I'll take a look. Thanks for the info.  :)

trigger

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 02:43:46 PM »
But, it has nothing to do with my avast not transparent scanning problem I believe, because when I completely exit Spampal, my messages still don't get scanned.

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »
But, it has nothing to do with my avast not transparent scanning problem I believe, because when I completely exit Spampal, my messages still don't get scanned.
Peter, maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:
Log=20
Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474

trigger

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 03:15:35 PM »
There is no time-out or whatever. My problem is that there is no indication whatsoever that avast actually scans the incoming mail. The counter of the service does not increase, the blue ball is not spinning, the clean notification is not inserted in the message. as far as I know, avast completely ignores the icoming mail.

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 03:29:01 PM »
There is no time-out or whatever. My problem is that there is no indication whatsoever that avast actually scans the incoming mail. The counter of the service does not increase, the blue ball is not spinning, the clean notification is not inserted in the message. as far as I know, avast completely ignores the icoming mail.
Is ashMaiSv.exe running in your computer?
Is this Windows Service allowed to manual start?
Is the Internet Mail Provider running? And Outlook/Exchange plugin?