Author Topic: The Avast Rescue CD is scanning the system too slowly  (Read 21450 times)

Offline Vitdom

The Avast Rescue CD is scanning the system too slowly
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
After burning an Avast Rescue CD I tried booting my laptop from the CD and running a scan on my SSD System drive.
Everything works well but apparently for every file scanned on my SSD the optical drive has to read the Rescue CD, slowing the scanner down by probably 10-100x.

Why does the Rescue Scanner have to read from the CD every time a file is scanned on my system SSD? Shouldn't the scanner be loaded into physical memory after having been loaded from the CD?

On large systems this will make use of the Rescue CD very discouraging with unnecessarily long scanning times.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:47:05 PM by Vitdom »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: The Avast Rescue CD is scanning the system too slowly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Without any information, it is not possible to tell why it is slow on that system.

Offline Vitdom

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »
I suppose loading the Avast Rescue Disk from an USB-memory would help speeding it up.

Offline Vitdom

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:28:42 PM »
I made a new updated Rescue CD and tried it out. This issue is now less evident but it still remains. Why does Avast have to read the Rescue CD for almost every file it scans on the system disk?

Offline Vitdom

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
I have now tried multiple other Anti-Malware Rescue CDs by burning them with ISOs from Universal USB Installer and many other brand's Rescue CDs work fine compared to Avast's. No other Rescue CDs appear to require access to the CD for every new scanned file.

So if you are looking for rescue CDs, there are much better alternatives until Avast fixes the Rescue CD.