Author Topic: Another open source project hijacked?  (Read 6342 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Another open source project hijacked?
« on: December 18, 2005, 09:45:07 PM »
Hello forum members,

eEye is planning to adopt ClamAv. ClamAv is succesful in detecting phising and new viruses in the wild, but intrinsic polymorphic malware is not exactly their kettle of fish. But in smt scanning Clamav is unbeatable. On access scanning is slow, but now possible with winpooch. If ClamAv is aquired by eEye, how long will we have to wait before we have to pay for their definitions.
Is it a trend to make open source projects unavailable by buying the out, same trend as with Firewalls lately, neo-liberalism rulez.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

neal62

Re: Another open source project hijacked?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:48:04 PM »
Polonus,

I have to admit that maybe MONEY "talks". Unfortunately for us some folks in open source like the money offered for their product.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:02:57 PM by neal63 »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:34:06 AM »
excuse me how can be opensource project overtaken such way ...

it can be about that old team leaves ClamAv and made own new "AV" ...

but the old codebase will stay available under GNU/GPL for anyone to continue ...

they can't simple change licence and sell the projects ...
well maybe yes but then they will need approval from absolutely everyone who contributed to project ...

or what i'm i missing ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:13:32 AM »
Hi Dwarden,

Here are the answers to your questions,

http://news.com.com/Open-source+antivirus+tech+may+get+commercial+help/2100-1029_3-5992194.html
My concern here is that succesful open software applications are first commercialized and later incorporated. What is left of it can easily be niched. And the position is not always clear to the end-user, because else you would not have this question, right?
So there is two forms of open software, sometimes the non-commercialized program might be even left, if not someone else adopts it.

greets,

polonus

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:22:50 AM »
well they want use sourcecode from ClamAV ... that's nothing new many do that already ...

the thing is if theirs changes will be returned back and published ....
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 10:35:50 PM »
Hi Dwarden,

It is especially about the quality of the work on definitions, that is appealing in ClamAV. That is also the reason I have it on my comp. and uploaded on a daily basis, to give me the bit extra, and also to have a second opinion aboard (it is just the different feel or the make-up, if you grasp what I mean). Then the technology of the virusmachine is old and almost out-dated. When I run it, it reminds me of the free Dos-F Prot. Some products deserve a closer look like the Indian SmartCop or or US viruskeeper and Polish avk-szczepionki.
The second part of your question, if they incorporate it in their software, then parts outside it can be closed software, creating problems for the open software community to develop it further,
as is often the case with media software these days. If software will be defined by further regulations, you can imagine what that leads to.

polonus

Umath

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:43:18 PM »
The second part of your question, if they incorporate it in their software, then parts outside it can be closed software, creating problems for the open software community to develop it further,
as is often the case with media software these days. If software will be defined by further regulations, you can imagine what that leads to.

Don't they separate codes depending on the license?  It is well-known that commercial companies and hackers (in open-source term) are in long-term love and hate relationship, though.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 12:11:23 AM »
Hello Umath,

What do you mean with this expression?  In your view debugging could also mean a form of resource hacking. The light in which this is viewed upon is swiftly changing. If you know that I am an adept of the Fravia style of thinking about these things (www.fravia.org), then you understand somewhat more. He was/is always opposed to overbloated, not-documented, and partly non-defined software, an adherent of php, java etc. I do not agree with all that for instance Stallman propagates, but the man has a point where he warns  that we have to be alert not to loose our basic freedoms. I can now choose what software to use, I can not choose what my ISP uses, and there is only to choose what they offer when closed software rules (around 2008 Fritz Intel chip inside motherboards as some propose). These are also sentiments or considerations   that makes open software somehow friendly to me, allthough technically not that advanced.

polonus

Umath

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 12:25:43 AM »
?  I meant that as long as the types of license are strictly controlled, freedom of commerce and that of coding should be guaranteed, which doesn't seem to be different from your opinion.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 12:36:57 AM »
Hi Umath,

If everybody could find themselves in your standpoint, the software world would look much better.

polonus