Author Topic: Windows 10 Build 11099 - Avast Shield Issues  (Read 2065 times)

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
Windows 10 Build 11099 - Avast Shield Issues
« on: January 14, 2016, 03:41:14 PM »
After upgrading to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099 x64, I noticed that one or more of Avast's shields are being detected as disabled in the latest public Home Edition release, (version 11.1.2245), although due to Avast's newer design, I can't tell which one(s) it is.

For reference, here is the known issues list for this build of Windows 10:

Quote from: Microsoft
We have a few known issues for Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099
•Log on for devices using Citrix XenDesktop may be broken. It is recommended that Insiders that use XenDesktop skip this flight by moving to the Slow ring.
•Applications that depend on Adobe Flash may crash upon launch. This will affect some version of Skype, QQ, WeChat, etc. This does not affect Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.

Send us your feedback and suggestions via the Windows Feedback app.
Now I'm doubting that either of those issues are related to this problem, however it wouldn't surprise me if some of the other internal changes with this build were responsible, but yet to be reported. (The previous build was working fine with Avast). So far I have not spotted any other issues with Avast in this build, however I'll keep an eye out.

For technical reference for Avast's Developers, here is the build announcement, which makes note of some of the other changes made in the build that could be at fault for Avast's problem:

Quote from: Gabe Aul @ Microsoft
Hi everyone,

Welcome to 2016 and a new year full of new builds for Windows Insiders. Today we have a new PC build we’re releasing to Insiders in the Fast ring: Build 11099.

As with the previous build, this build does not include big noticeable changes or new features yet. Our focus through the holidays was on structural improvements to OneCore, which is the shared core of Windows across devices. The code refactoring and other engineering work we’ve been doing to optimize OneCore is nearing the point where we will be ready for teams to begin checking in new features and improvements. It will still be a few builds before any really noticeable changes show up, depending on when teams begin lighting up new features in their areas. We’re excited for Insiders to use this build to validate the work we’ve been doing to OneCore, so give this build a try and let us know of any issues you run into via the Windows Feedback app.

As I explained in the prior post, we are making some changes to how we release builds to the Fast ring starting in 2016. The criteria we use to release builds to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring will be much closer to our criteria for flighting to our internal rings. This will allow more builds to reach Windows Insider. This also means that the builds we release to the Fast ring may include more bugs and other issues that could be slightly more painful for some people to live with. If you’d rather stick with less frequent but more stable builds, you can switch to the Slow ring by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options and under “Get Insider Preview builds” moving the slider to the Slow ring.

As a reminder, we will be publishing known issues for builds we release in the Insider Hub rather than in our blog posts here. You can find the known issues for this build here.

I do want to note something that we fixed in this build which was a known issue in the last build: the progress dialog when copying or deleting files via File Explorer now shows up as expected.

Thank you for being Windows Insiders, we’re looking forward to a fun and exciting year ahead.

Thanks,
g
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:43:44 PM by SugarD-x »
~SugarD-x~

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Windows 10 Build 11099 - Avast Shield Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 03:45:40 PM »
have you tried avast repair?

go and uninstall avast, on last popup box there is a repair option

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
No problem on that build x64 with Avast.... Not that it helps you

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:23:57 AM »
have you tried avast repair?

go and uninstall avast, on last popup box there is a repair option
I just made the stupid mistake of not thinking and I ran the installer, assuming there would be a repair option there as well. It is trying to install Avast on top of Avast now. I'll let you know what happens once it is done and I get this mess cleaned up. ;D

Edit: Well that was weird. It seems installing over itself worked out fine, and the issue was actually resolved in the process. From the looks of it, this was probably just a Windows 10 build upgrade bug then. All seems well now!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:31:10 PM by SugarD-x »
~SugarD-x~