Author Topic: Avast Cleanup & CCleaner -an analytical study, results, mystery, questions  (Read 22826 times)

REDACTED

My System configuration is 64-bit Windows 10, x64-based processor, 8 GB Memory, and 1 TB HDD more than 50% free space.

I began my search and analysis to find an answer for my question: Do I need Avast Cleanup (aka PC Optimization Tool) in addition to my existing Avast Internet Security?

I started the process asking myself (a) what would paid Avast Cleanup do for me, (b) what does free CCleaner do for me at present, and (c) how do they match up in their performance?

First, I ran Avast Cleanup but did not remove unwanted files reported by it because I did not have Avast Cleanup, which I shall buy only after I receive favourable opinions of Forum members.

Next, I ran CCleaner but did not delete the files because I wanted to obtain forum members' opinion first.

Avast Cleanup reported that my System has 34 issues comprising 1.38 GB of Junk files + 19 Unnecessary applications + 15 System settings.

CCleaner reported that my System had  over 23 GB of Junk files + 143 Unnecessary applications/Registry issues.

Avast was reporting Registry issues under a different name "Unnecessary applications". This would be apparent looking at the names of those 19 unnecessary applications.

What I might want to understand here is--

Makers of both the tools have same purpose--to make my System run faster than before--why then such vast difference between their findings?
    As an individual, if you had to take the decision for your own use, which of the two tools you would have preferred, and why?
    What suggestion do you have for me?

If you would like to have a look at details of findings by two well-known brands, here are some snapshots in two zipped folders--

Avast zip folder containing 5 files with full contents of 34 reported issues--

2016-01-18a- 34 issues
    2016-01-18b - 1.38 GB of Junk files + 19 Unnecessary applications + 15 System settings
    2016-01-18c - 1.38 GB of Junk files - List of all files
    2016-01-18d - 19 Unnecessary applications - List of Registry entries
    2016-01-18e - 15 System settings - List of Tweaks

CCleaner zip folder containing 7 files with full contents of issues it reported--

2016-01-18a - 22.99 GB of Windows Junk files
    2016-01-18b - 05.27 MB of Applications Junk files
    2016-01-18c - Registry Cleaner - 1 of 5
    2016-01-18d - Registry Cleaner - 2 of 5
    2016-01-18e - Registry Cleaner - 3 of 5
    2016-01-18f - Registry Cleaner - 4 of 5
    2016-01-18g - Registry Cleaner - 5 of 5

Attachments exceeding 1,024 KB are not allowed here. Hence, these two zip folders have been uploaded to my Dropbox account and anyone with the following links can access (download) these--

·      https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4n2ew06w1199ar/Avast%20Cleanup%20Report%20-%20Full%20list%20of%20files%20of%2034%20issues.zip?dl=0

·       https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9hhlxax0qpc440/CCleaner%20Report%20-%20Full%20list%20of%20Junk%20files%20and%20Registry%20files.zip?dl=0

Thank you for your time, and if you can help me understanding the issue better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:53:13 AM by mbr »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Do you need CCleaner, avast CleaunUp or any tool like those?
The answer is no.
There is no such tool that does what you already can do using the options the OS is giving you already.

There are basically only two reasons why such tools exist.
1]
People buy a computer and don't bother to learn how to use one properly.
Many don't even know how to remove a file through the command prompt.  :(

2]
Those tools work faster then a person could do the things.
Downside is none of them do the job as good as a person who knows how to handle a system.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
In addition, you really have no way of knowing 'how the cleaner is programmed/coded' and what the results will be on your OS when it executes.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I haven't used Avast Cleanup but I think both tools cover some different areas, CCleaner will be better optimised for cleaning junk and temp files, I'm guessing that the 22.9Gb windows junk files include the Windows old folder - a leftover from the Windows 10 upgrade/update.

You'll need to run Windows disc clean as admin to remove that folder.

Offline jr19

Do you need CCleaner, avast CleaunUp or any tool like those?
The answer is no.
There is no such tool that does what you already can do using the options the OS is giving you already.

There are basically only two reasons why such tools exist.
1]
People buy a computer and don't bother to learn how to use one properly.
Many don't even know how to remove a file through the command prompt.  :(

2]
Those tools work faster then a person could do the things.
Downside is none of them do the job as good as a person who knows how to handle a system.

So, then, Eddy.... I'm sure you're on to something here. How about providing an outline of these issues and how/where one goes about doing/learning what needs to be done/learned to be freed up from depending on these programs?

-JR

REDACTED

Thanks, JR, yes that would be helpful rather than just telling users they haven't "bothered" to learn how to use their computers which isn't helpful at all, especially since most users are not expected to know how to even go into the bowels of the machine or even manually edit the registry.