Author Topic: Build 4.1.304  (Read 19004 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Build 4.1.304
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 08:33:27 PM »
Hello all!

Thank you again for this very nice product!

Just a question: I have the impression that my computer has slowed in the opening of files after the last update. Is this possible? I use a French Win XP Home on a Dell Inspiron 8200 with 512Mb of ram.

I have even defragmented my hard disk thinking that this could be ths source of the problem, but nope  :-(

Than I have remembered that the slowing has coincided with the update of Avast...

Well, I am probably wrong but wanted to have your opinion about it.

Best regards,

Murat

PS. Avast wanted to restart my computer only once after the update, so I have not observed the annoying restart problems of the last version :-)

What do you have at:

Standard Shield > Customize > Scanner settings and Scanner (Advanced) seetings

I mean, do you scan each open/read file? Which extension are being scanned?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 09:15:44 AM »
the new build asks for a system restart after it connects to the internet for the 1st time, the same as the previous did

Have you discussed this with kubecj? I'm sure he'd be interested in your setup.log (at least).

no visible improvement in avast4 overall footprint   (it almost uses as the same as the previous build)..

Well it was not said in the version history, but the improvement only applies to NT/2K/XP machines...  ;)

Vlk

Vlk, could we see an overall memory usage improvement for Win98/WinMe in the near future? ;) ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 09:17:24 AM by minacross »
MW

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 06:52:18 PM »
BTW, the 'Help' button at the SMTP setup page is not working (does not open help ::) )
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 06:52:59 PM by minacross »
MW

Walter

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 01:47:18 AM »
The new edition is great!  I like the new screen and the on-demand scan runs MUCH faster than the previous version.  I have about 16 GB of data on 2 drives.  The previous version took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to scan both drives.  The new version completed the scan in 23 minutes!  Thanks.  I plan to buy the 3 year subscription for the Pro version.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 01:49:40 AM »
im glad you like it. im evaluating the pro version  :)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Walter

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 01:57:28 AM »
im glad you like it. im evaluating the pro version  :)

Me too!  Why do you need an antivirus program on a Mac? ???  Oops, sorry.  I just read your sig. and I see you have a PC as well!  I need to read more before I post.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 01:59:53 AM by Walter »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 02:00:06 AM »
because like it or not there are some mac viruses and I have gotten one before there just not as common as windows viruses. apple.mac that is my email and security solution that you can buy from apple includes mcafee antivirus for mac (virex)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

jepp1

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 06:00:48 AM »
I've noticed that since I upgraded to build 4.1.304, I have system hangs when an automatic update occurs after dialing into my ISP.  I thought it was a fluke until it just happened again today and a friend of mine, who I recommended Avast to, had told me that he has the same problem on his system.  I'm running XP Home and he is running XP professional.  Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on.   I've been using Avast for months now with no problems until now.

Thanks,
-mark

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2003, 03:36:13 PM »
I've noticed that since I upgraded to build 4.1.304, I have system hangs when an automatic update occurs after dialing into my ISP.  I thought it was a fluke until it just happened again today and a friend of mine, who I recommended Avast to, had told me that he has the same problem on his system.  I'm running XP Home and he is running XP professional.  Anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on.   I've been using Avast for months now with no problems until now.

Thanks,
-mark

Are your system well configurated for 'dial-up' or 'permanent' connection to the Internet?
What do you mean wiht 'system hangs'? Total freeze? Have to reset manually?
Do you try a manual update? Does it work?
Do you try to desinstall/install avast again? A lot of troubles with updating are solved by this proccess because of some incompatibilities/bugs in previous versions (if I'm not wrong and being unfair with avast!)  8)

jepp1

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 05:21:09 AM »
Technical,

I'm using dialup and have the the I only connect with dialup set in the options.  The system just grinds to a halt, with applications locking up and explorer(the interface) ceasing to respond.  I finally have to turn the system off with the power button as I can't even do the three finger salute to call up task manager.  This only seems to happen when avast is doing it's background update of the signatures when first connecting with dialup.  On days an update is not available or after rebooting on days with new signatures, the system is fine.   In fact after I reboot the system, the update has been done.    I've tried manual updates, but not when new  signatures are available and it seems to go through the motions, telling me there aren't any updates.   I've been using Avast on this system for some time now and the updates used to work.  I'm not sure what to try as I've not added any new programs to my system.   I'll try the uninstall/re-install to see what happens.

thanks,
-mark

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2003, 12:50:36 PM »
I'll try the uninstall/re-install to see what happens.
thanks,
mark

That seems to be best to do now... Maybe you can set the system to 'manual' updates for some days and then, after you're sure it is working, change back to 'automatic' again.
I use a dial-up and never had update troubles...

andyqkw

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2003, 03:27:49 PM »
Running great on my PC.

beck

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 10:14:14 PM »
Technical,

I'm using dialup and have the the I only connect with dialup set in the options.  The system just grinds to a halt, with applications locking up and explorer(the interface) ceasing to respond.  I finally have to turn the system off with the power button as I can't even do the three finger salute to call up task manager.  This only seems to happen when avast is doing it's background update of the signatures when first connecting with dialup.  On days an update is not available or after rebooting on days with new signatures, the system is fine.   In fact after I reboot the system, the update has been done.    I've tried manual updates, but not when new  signatures are available and it seems to go through the motions, telling me there aren't any updates.   I've been using Avast on this system for some time now and the updates used to work.  I'm not sure what to try as I've not added any new programs to my system.   I'll try the uninstall/re-install to see what happens.

thanks,
-mark

I wonder if that is what is happening to my system with the hanging? It sounds the same except I have DSL and clicked the always connected. I wouldn't know if it happened when trying an update.