Author Topic: Can't backup Avast settings  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Majhoul

Can't backup Avast settings
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »
I've just reinstalled latest Avast Free after using another AV for a while.  The new version has a much improved interface but has given me a new problem: all attempts to backup Avast's settings fail with an "Access Denied" error message: I tried different folders and an external drive with the same result.  A forum search found a similar question from several years ago (topic "[RESOLVED] Backing up Avast settings"), but the advice there didn't help: the problem persists after a complete uninstall (avastclear.exe in safe mode) and reinstall.

Running Win7 Home Premium x64.

Any ideas.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Can't backup Avast settings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Well the first thing that comes to mind is "how" you uninstalled the previous AV you had installed.
Did you use the venders uninstall utility?
Remnants of previous security software can cause unexpected issues with currently installed AV product. :)

Offline Majhoul

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
Well the first thing that comes to mind is "how" you uninstalled the previous AV you had installed.
Remnants of previous security software can cause unexpected issues with currently installed AV product. :)

I did use the vendor's uninstall utility and manually removed traces it left in the registry.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »

I did use the vendor's uninstall utility and manually removed traces it left in the registry.

I'm not sure then as I'm not on Win 7
Hopefully others may have more information.