Author Topic: AVAST Pro Clean Up...a lesson learned  (Read 3362 times)

REDACTED

AVAST Pro Clean Up...a lesson learned
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Don't use it.

A couple of days ago, I downloaded AVAST Pro 2016 to install in my new Dell XPS 8900 Windows 10.  Now, I have been using AVAST for several years in my previous Dell 530 Inspiron WinXP without a problem.  So, when replacing my ailing eight year old computer with a new one, I chose to stick with AVAST. 

During the scan, I was prompted to improve my computer's performance with AVAST PC Clean Up after it said it found 36 files that affected it.  So I allowed it to "clean up".  After the scan, I closed down for the night.  The next afternoon, I found my computer had "changed".  Some apps were missing and my Firefox would not recognize AVAST plugins.  I couldn't access the internet because the "cleanup" uninstalled my WildBlue Satellite connection and files.  My keyboard would not work...but left my mouse alone.  My "Downloads" folder was emptied and my "Documents" one too.  Crap.

With the mouse, I went to "Systems Restore" hoping a rollback would help.  Found the  "AVAST PC Cleanup" restore point and took a look at what was done.......   Some of the deleted files were actually OEM drivers!  What gives?    I enabled THAT restore point and crossed fingers/toes and knocked on wood.   After restart, everything came up normal.  The missing apps were back and my Satellite connections were back (as they should be)  Plus my Firefox recognized the AVAST security plugins. 

Now, I paid for the AVAST PC Clean Up option.......but right now, I ain't gonna use it any more after this debacle.  I bought this computer for the family business and can't afford anymore gaffs. 
AVAST has been my choice for several years as an anti virus program.  Been very satisfied and, with Malwarebytes, it kept my previous machine clean of "narsties".  But I will never use your PC Clean Up program again and disabled it.  I am willing to swallow the $35 spent buying this option.....but, as said before, I will never use it again.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AVAST Pro Clean Up...a lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
CCleaner, it is free and it works 

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Agree. CCleaner does everything you actually need done as regards regular maintenance and after almost 6 years of daily use I've yet to have any problem caused even by its registry cleaner.

"Clean-up" and performance "boost" programs you should always treat with the greatest suspicion unless they are endorsed by many, many other users,  tells you exactly what they're doing and asks before deleting anything. Putting in a restore point or having a pre-clean backup available should always be the first task before doing any PC maintenance or install.

Thankfully in this case the AVAST tool did this itself. That is at least the one positive element in this story. Still there would seem to be no excuse for it doing what has been described and I'll be interested to read any explanation offered for this maverick behaviour.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:03:30 AM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline Mike23

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Just a FWIW...

CCleaner is O.K. but do not let it anywhere near either Firefox or Thunderbird.
Why?

Because it has a nasty habit of removing stuff it shouldn't.

Firefox & Thunderbird are quite capable of taking care of their own files etc...

No need for anything else to interfere with them.
Uncheck anything related to both apps, in the Applications tab of CCleaner.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems, but keep in mind that avast CleanUp is a brand new product and that there always can be issues.
You can see/select what you want to cleanup before hitting the "ok, proceed" button.

CleanUp should have created a log file.
Please attach it to your next post here.
I'm sure avast is interested in it and that they can use it to improve the tool.

I'm using CCleaner for years and never had any problem with it.
Next to CCleaner, I use the Glary Utilities.
Although they do overlap, each finds things the other doesn't.
You might have a look at them, they are free as well.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
Cleanup is marketed to novices, yet they're the last users who should use this product.  Even if the user looked at the proposed actions, how can a novice evaluate them?  Stay well clear.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free