Author Topic: avast! 4 on windows 2003  (Read 5958 times)

yq

avast! 4 on windows 2003
« on: November 26, 2003, 09:53:05 AM »
Hi
I heve a problem installing avast on win2k3 (avaluation version). Installer says that I need at least NT4 SP, and not NT server. Well, I installed it in compatibility mode - win98 (2000 and nt4 didn't work), but now it won't run the resident protection on startup.
Could someone help me, because I get used to avast, and don't want to change antivirus because of win2k3.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:avast! 4 on windows 2003
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 10:04:01 AM »
Sorry, but the Home/Pro version is really not supposed to be installed on a server OS.

Installing it "as if it were running on Win98" is not a good idea - the resident protection is completely different on Win9x and WinNT/2k/XP - different drivers are installed. The Win9x resident protection will certainly not work on Win2003...

yq

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 10:29:21 AM »
Thanks for reply.
bad news :(
But how does it identify OS running (between NT/2k/XP/2k3)
Based on some registry setting?
Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version=6.0.3790.0 maybe ?
If yes it could be possible to fool it, that it is running on w2k (on my own  responsibility) :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 11:34:37 AM »
If yes it could be possible to fool it, that it is running on w2k (on my own  responsibility)

Ehm, let me put it straight: this feature is there to prevent users from running it on server OS - that's its only purpose (we included this feature to enforce our licensing policy). Hence it would be foolish to think that we'll now tell you how to fool it... ;)

Sorry
Vlk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:34:50 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

yq

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 03:46:08 PM »
we included this feature to enforce our licensing policy

I wrote, that I'm using evaluation version of win2k3. And why evaluation ? - because I want to use only legal software and don't want to violate any licences.
Furthermore I'm not any kind of administrator, don't run any server, and wanted to use avast on my private, home, non profit machine, which happens to run win2k3 (because I had eval verson of this system).
If I wanted to violate some licence I would install some other antivirus software, than some crack or serials or sth like these. So I don't see how this feature enforce your licencing policy.

Of course you don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to, I just asked.

eda

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 08:38:42 PM »
Hi yq,

Server products are server products... But I like to clear the situation, there is no help available.

avast! 4 Home & Pro are workstation products and it's impossible to install them on any Windows Server OS.

There is available avast! 4 Server Edition for Windows Servers to download and evaluate for 60 days: http://download3.avast.com/iavs4pro/avsrv_ful.exe.

As I know there is usualy no evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server (and if there is one it's special offer and it's time limited) and I can't believe that anybody uses legal license of Windows 2003 Server on his home non-commercial computer. You aren't alone who asks for "free home server version". If anybody paid nearly one grand for server OS, he can pay something for server antivirus too.

I know that this doesn't help because there is no "free home server antivirus" for Windows servers...

Eduard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 06:08:40 PM »
Thanks Igor, Vlk and Eduard...
Anyway, yq I suppose you have read some bryan986 posts and stuffs about Windows Server 2003 and avast!  ::)
The best things in life are free.

yq

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 07:11:51 PM »
As I know there is usualy no evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server (and if there is one it's special offer and it's time limited) and I can't believe that anybody uses legal license of Windows 2003 Server on his home non-commercial computer. You aren't alone who asks for "free home server version".
Well, there is evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
look here:
https://microsoft.order-5.com/windowsserver2003evaldl
It is time limited to 180 days. Half a year is quite much.
So it seems I'm using legal license of Windows 2003 Server on my home non-commercial computer.

If anybody paid nearly one grand for server OS, he can pay something for server antivirus too.
Sure, why not. And what if someone paid nothing for server OS? And someone else paid few hundreds for non server OS and has avast! for free.

Anyway, yq I suppose you have read some bryan986 posts and stuffs about Windows Server 2003 and avast!  ::)
Yes, I just did :)