Author Topic: [SOLVED] Issue's still alive: 10.4.2509 ( WS ON ) + Windows Vista = NO internet  (Read 5488 times)

REDACTED

New release... Old nightmare!!!  :P

10.3.2508 ( Webshield ON ) + Windows Vista = NO internet
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »

Modify

Quote from: WALLONN7 on December 11, 2015, 12:23:06 PM

Quote from: WALLONN7 on December 04, 2015, 11:47:47 AM

Quote from: GFM on December 03, 2015, 11:57:18 PM

@WALLONN7
            If you mean WebShield, double check you have the latest Network Interface drivers available for your system.  My problems were fixed by that, and if the problem happens for Vista it's probably the drivers you have currently are a bit old.

Thanks, but...
        I'm obsessed with keeping everything up to date!! So we're not talking about an outdated system.  ;)

Additional information:

* wired connection =     Realtek chipset  = 10613 driver          => webshield on = connected but pages won't load;
        * wireless connection = Linksys AE2500 = 5.100.243.6 driver => webshield on = connected but pages won't load.
        * note: they do not work at the same time. One of them is always disabled.

One more ridiculous behavior: it does not even update itself with webshield on!!!  :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:57:48 PM by WALLONN7 »

REDACTED

Did you try the Windows XP/7 Driver like I suggested? 

Did you contact Avast tech support?

REDACTED

Did you try the Windows XP/7 Driver like I suggested? 

Did you contact Avast tech support?

I see... You didn't notice my update... I did exactly everything you suggested ... and nothing !!!

First of all: Thanks a lot, GFM, for all your help!!!  ;D 
You're welcome, I will help where I can, I'm only sorry that forums isn't the speediest way to do things  :-[

1º - made an Windows Vista backup image;
2º - install Windows 7 in the same machine, update it: tried both 10.2.2505 and 10.3.2508... NO problem!!! Web was mine!!!   :D
3º - use Vista image to restore;
4º - 10.3.2508... lost web again...  :-X
5º - 10.2.2505... surprise: Webshield ON and web was mine again!!!  :D
Would you be willing to try a fresh Vista install for testing, with no 3rd-party driver installs?  Really all you've shown here is that your Vista backup image doesn't work with the newest Avast.  Also the make/model of machine could be of use. 

Who's the bad guy?!...  ::)
Inconclusive; you haven't changed my mind yet that old drivers or old 3rd party applications aren't to blame :)  Yes, its easy to blame Avast versions, but it could be something else on your machine image that is badly behaved and conflicting, and fixing that resolves the root cause.  My experience as I documented in my other forum post is evidence of that.

May we ask, are you using Vista for a particular reason?  Your other machines are Windows 7 or better.  Seems like an odd one out, and Vista is.... well.... notoriously "difficult".

I've always been satisfied with Windows Vista since the first time I had contact with this operating system. I never had the problems that many shouted over the years. For the rest, if I paid for it, it is expected that I make use of the product, is not it ?!

Fine, I'll do a fresh install ( just an up to date Vista, nothing else )... but I must say: results won't change. Why?! Simple:
Conclusion: 10.3.2508 + Vista =  :'(
                 10.2.2505 + Vista =  ;D

I'll be back as soon as possible!!!

And... As I said earlier: results did not change...

Something between 10.2.2505 and 10.3.2508 has changed and "create" the problem...

REDACTED

Forgive me, but I cant see anywhere that shows you tried the Win7 or XP drivers from http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148503.  They might not install or even work, but it's worth a try.  You will remember I pointed out their version numbers were the same but different to the Vista driver, suggesting the Vista driver is somehow different.

Similarly, I can't see any mention of you contacting Avast for technical support specific to your environment.  Sorry to say I don't think you're going to get the answers you need here if nobody else can replicate the problem.   :-\

REDACTED

Forgive me, but I cant see anywhere that shows you tried the Win7 or XP drivers from http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148503.  They might not install or even work, but it's worth a try.  You will remember I pointed out their version numbers were the same but different to the Vista driver, suggesting the Vista driver is somehow different.

Similarly, I can't see any mention of you contacting Avast for technical support specific to your environment.  Sorry to say I don't think you're going to get the answers you need here if nobody else can replicate the problem.   :-\

GFM... GFM... GFM...  :D
Well ... I think we're a little lost here...  ;)
What part of "I did exactly everything you suggested ... and nothing !!!" was unclear?!  :o
Anyway, here: even though I already knew the result, yes, I tried to install the drivers for other OS ... Windows did not install any of them for obvious reasons ...
And, yes, I contacted the support, and, as many have mentioned here and in several other fields in the internet ... well ...  :-X
But I'm not sorry... I hope I'll get an answer!!!  8)

REDACTED

What part of "I did exactly everything you suggested ... and nothing !!!" was unclear?!  :o

Well, if someone gives a suggestion, and in your reply you don't describe your experience testing that suggestion, we can only assume you didn't initially read it or try it.  We're not mind-readers.   :o

Anyway, here: even though I already knew the result, yes, I tried to install the drivers for other OS ... Windows did not install any of them for obvious reasons ...

Obvious how?  There are plenty of articles on the internet of how people are happily using the AE2500 with Windows 8 and better even though there is no specific driver for those OS, so switching drivers not designed for the OS is not unheard of.

If you didn't try the "AE2500 Windows Setup Software" download, please have a go using XP compatibility mode which might trick it into using that driver.

I've also read some articles where people needed to disable their onboard LAN in the BIOS first to eliminate network stack conflicts.  This might also help you for testing (again, the generic Realtek driver isn't necessarily best if it is onboard to your motherboard which you've not shared any info about).

Sorry to hark on about the network, but my only experience with this problem has been resolved with fixing network drivers and have never seen any alternate solution.  Others are free to jump in to the discussion :)

REDACTED

Well... It was an endurance test...  :P
Yesterday afternoon, it began to allow Internet traffic as it ever was to be expected.  ::)
Problem solved.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
[Resolved] 10.4.2509 ( Webshield ON ) + Windows Vista = NO internet
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
You can EDIT (modify) your first post and add [Resolved] to the topic's Subject, as I have done in this post's subject
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Re: [Resolved] 10.4.2509 ( Webshield ON ) + Windows Vista = NO internet
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
You can EDIT (modify) your first post and add [Resolved] to the topic's Subject, as I have done in this post's subject

Thanks!!!  :)