Author Topic: "License Key for the Product is Invalid"  (Read 7487 times)

BAshworth

"License Key for the Product is Invalid"
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:17:27 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have been a user of Avast Home for a few years now, and really love the product.  However, after recently reinstalling my system, and Avast, I'm having a problem.

Whenever Avast attempts to do a program update, I receive an error message stating that my License key is invalid, and it will not update the program.  I still receive my AVS updates.

This is a new installation of Avast 4.6 Home on a Windows XP machine.  I requested the registration code immediately upon installing it, and the email arrived within a few seconds of my request.  (Just so you don't think it's an old code) I have both cut and pasted, and typed the registration code in, with the same result.

Here's my about information.

Avast ver: 4.6 Home Edition
Build: Dec 2005 (4.6.739)
Xtreme Toolkit Version: 1.9.4.0

VPS Compilation Date: 12-19-2005
File Version: 0551-0

It next lists my registration information, which correctly displays the Registration Number, Product, and Type.  Lists the expiration as never, and the updates expiration as March 1, 2007.

If I need to supply any additional information, let me know. (although I think I probably over did it a little there)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

kubecj

Re: "License Key for the Product is Invalid"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 11:13:43 AM »
Just to be sure - is your computer's date set ok?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:45:18 AM »
Are you using an Administrator account to register?
How many Administrator acconts do you have in your computer?
Did you use Trial version in the past and now you're using Home?
The best things in life are free.

BAshworth

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 04:50:55 AM »
Thanks for your replies..

Yes, I checked the date (since I've had this happen in the past)

I downloaded and installed the avast 4 home

from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html here.

As for administrator accounts, I only have one (two limited besides that) and this is the account under which I both installed, and attempted to register the software.   This error message occurs when I try to perform either a manual update, or an automatic program update, under any of the three accounts.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 04:52:53 AM by BAshworth »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:53:25 PM »
Did you use Trial version in the past and now you're using Home?
What about this question?
Did you try to register the Pro version anytime in the past?

JimTheMuso

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:49:56 PM »
I don't know if this is related to the same problem. I have just created a new Admin user but when I log on with it it tells me the key is not inserted. I tried the key I have but it says invalid. I re-registered and got a new key but it still says key invalid. If I log on with the old admin user it runs fine (as it has for months) and I don't have to insert any key at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 09:12:03 PM »
I don't know if this is related to the same problem. I have just created a new Admin user but when I log on with it it tells me the key is not inserted. I tried the key I have but it says invalid. I re-registered and got a new key but it still says key invalid. If I log on with the old admin user it runs fine (as it has for months) and I don't have to insert any key at all.
Yes, it's related. It's an antipiracy feature as far I remember.
Two Administrator accounts won't work smoothly with avast and with other programs too  :-\

JimTheMuso

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 12:33:52 AM »
Thanks. What a pain! I had to create a new admin due to corruption probs so it meant altering all the permissions etc. uninstalling and reinstalling etc. etc. Why on earth do they do that? It's one computer after all so surely it should be OK for all users.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »
Thanks. What a pain! I had to create a new admin due to corruption probs so it meant altering all the permissions etc. uninstalling and reinstalling etc. etc. Why on earth do they do that? It's one computer after all so surely it should be OK for all users.
It won't be only avast. Other programs need to use the same technology to avoid piracy.
Unfortunately, Windows is not designed to have more than one Administrator account without bringing this kind of conflict.
Sorry but, glad that you solve the trouble  8)
Welcome to avast forums  :)

BAshworth

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 08:15:37 PM »
What about this question?
Did you try to register the Pro version anytime in the past?

No, that's why I posted the link to where I had downloaded it from.  This is the only version I have had installed or tried to register.

However, my problem appears to have gone away.  I created a new administrator account, and tried to run an update through that, it worked fine, no errors.  It appears that all of the user accounts that were created at the time that Windows was installed have this problem, while any that I add after the fact (administrator or not) work just fine.

Odd, but I'm thinking this is a Windows issue, and not Avast, because the other accounts were having other numerous problems also.

Thanks again for all your help.