Author Topic: Seagate Bought Maxtor  (Read 15819 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Seagate Bought Maxtor
« on: December 22, 2005, 09:34:11 PM »
Seems only four companies left... Seagate“, „Western-Digital“, „Hitachi“ and „Samsung“. Who'll be next?  :-\

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/business/21deal.html

My personal opinion: I had 2.4GB Seagate Barracuda on my old pc, and it's more than one year I have this PC with 40GB Seagate Barracuda. This HD was in my wishlist when when buying this PC, as old 2.4GB Barracuda worked perfectly with zero bad sectors.  ;D

..::ReVaN::..

Re: Seagate Bought Maxtor
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59:28 PM »
Maxtor here...Running for 2 years and no problems whatsoever.I had a Samsung too but it failed on me so i cannot say anything good about them.But i also had WD's and Seagate's in the past and they all worked like a charm. :)

Cheers

Mikey

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »
I don't see Fujitsu in your list, they bought out IBM Drives, Deskstar, etc. (I think), now I think the deskstars are now made by another company under license.

I still have my 1GB Fujitsu and my 10 GB Segate no problems with either and I now have a 40GB and 120GB segate Barracuda in this system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 10:14:18 PM »
David Hitachi bought IBM drives...But i don't know about Fujitsu i think i never saw a HDD from them ???

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:43:04 PM »
Fujitsu HDs are one of the best out there and it is just unbelievable that those are not that popular. Besides I have never had any single problem with my old Fujitsu on my old system (back in Europe), and best of all, none of these nowadays HDs works as silent as Fujitsu does.

Today, my system runs on one Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM (80Gb) plus one Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 7200RPM (160Gb), plus I have two spare HDs (for my personal stuff backups), one is also Maxtor 80 Gb, and another one Seagate 80gb.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:26:23 PM »
Well if you say Fujitsu drives are good Sasha then i believe you. :) It's just i really haven't seen them in action or i have and i just don't remeber it.But i never had any problems with any of the brands we mentioned here except with a Samsung 40 gb drive that died on me after just 1,5 years in service...

Cheers

Mikey

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 12:32:27 AM »
David Hitachi bought IBM drives...But i don't know about Fujitsu i think i never saw a HDD from them ???
I'm obviously confused then, hard to keep up with the mergers and acqusitions in the IT industry. Fujitsu have been making HDDs for some considerable time though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 11:54:46 AM »
I'm obviously confused then, hard to keep up with the mergers and acqusitions in the IT industry. Fujitsu have been making HDDs for some considerable time though.

No harm done ofcourse,it really is hard to keep track sometimes of all this buying and selling.But i wonder why Fujitsu drives aren't as popular as the rest , well at least they aren't in my country.But i did a little browsing and people seem to be very pleased with Fujitsu drives they have.Maybe Fujitsu need to hire new sales people or something?

Cheers

Mikey

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »
Yes Fujitsu are a very large company but not known for their HDDs, when I first got it, The guy said you'll never fill this ;D I didn't think so either. Now people have that much storage and more in RAM ;D

I just though of another one Excelstor. I think they are doing a Deskstar clone or under license, they got some good reviews some time ago, they were giving a three year warranty when most others (including the Deskstar) were only giving a 1 year warranty.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »
Fujitsu used to be (and still might be) a suppiler of the 1.8" HDDs used in the iPod mini and 5th Generation iPods
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 08:42:58 PM »
Excelstor? You're right we forgot about those.... Seem to be OK, i installed an 80gb Excelstor(ata 133, 7200 rpm) just the other day in a client's PC and seemed to be working nicely(pretty quiet too).Pretty cheap drives though i have to say.

Cheers

Mikey

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »
But then ReVaN, is not it that you never know for sure with hard disks, there are so many other factors that count. One a lot of people don't count is DUST, yes normal household dust. It can ruin computers, it can ruin hardware, it can even ruin complete motherboards (I had one burnt because of over excessive dust, cost me 400 euros). You have to dust out your computer housing every year. Do this, some install a little extra fan, running with an USB cable on a second USB port. A hard disk can be like any other piece of hardware. You can be lucky and it runs, and runs, others fail just being out of service time.

There are two more dangers people are not aware off, bump against the housing while the harddisk is doing a spin (dangerous), and off course fluctuations in the current. This can cause more errors than software bugs. That is my comment,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »
Damian that is why i open up my PC every month and clean out the DUST hehe ;)

Cheers

Mikey

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 10:34:14 PM »
Too bad. I liked Maxtor :(
200GB 8MB cache Maxtor beast is just rotating in the PC.
Hitachi looks promising lately but we'll see... Seagate is long on the scene so they probably know how to deal with the HDD stuff.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 02:49:25 AM »
200GB 8MB cache Maxtor beast is just rotating in the PC.
I picked up a Maxtor 250GB for $24.95 the day after Thanksgiving.
One of those nice specials that I just couldn't turn down.....  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet