Author Topic: When I update it only updates the data file not the avast program update.  (Read 5368 times)

BeaverHunter

I installed Avast about 2 months ago and since then you have had 2 program updates.

When I go to update my avast only the new data files update but the program updates don't come over, I have it setup that way in the setting area to update the data file and the program updates.

Onething I have changed on the setup of avast on my computer is all registry entries for avast have been removed and I manually run avast when needed, but when I goto manually update avast only the data files updates.

What would cause this?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: When I update it only updates the data file not the avast program update.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 01:21:34 AM »
Onething I have changed on the setup of avast on my computer is all registry entries for avast have been removed and I manually run avast when needed, but when I goto manually update avast only the data files updates.

And you are then surprised that it doesn't work as advertised.

Do you do the same thing to Windows?

The only advice I think worth offering is to uninstall avast!, reinstall it and let it work as it is designed to.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 01:24:25 AM »
How are you updating?

I have it setup that way in the setting area to update the data file and the program updates.
Effectively I believe you have killed the auto updates function by deleting X number (all) of avast registry entries, so I guess that totally negates and settings you have made because the avast isn't running the update process/Service won't be running either so it won't update.

You need to manually initiate a Program update, that will also update the virus pattern files also. However if you just update the iAVS all you get is the signature (VPS) updates not program updates.

avast isn't designed to run in this crippled way as an on-demand scanner, so what you have done to achive this may well cause what you are seeing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BeaverHunter

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 01:34:42 AM »
So if I update to the newest version will I need to remove all registry setting again?

I really like this program and I figured the reason it wasn't auto updating is because I have removed all registry keys in the RUN folder in the registry.

Thanks for your help

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 02:16:09 AM »
I don't thing a manual program update will do the job and over come what you have done to cripple avast, you really need to start from scratch.

Why did you remove all of the registry entries, what was your purpose?
Are you running another AV?
If you are running another AV, then there is little point in installing a second resident AV as this is likely to cause conflict.

Download the latest full version of avast from the web site and save it to your HDD, also download the Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here

The reason for the uninstall tool, you may well have stuffed up the windows add remove programs, which you should first try if that doesn't work then run the uninstall tool.

Having uninstalled avast, reboot and install using the latest version you downloaded and reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BeaverHunter

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 02:56:11 AM »
I only removed the registry keys that are in the RUN folder not the entire programs registry entries.

The keys i removed were found in hklm\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

These are only entires for running Avast at boot up. and I have disabled the services as well.

This program works fine this way and from what I read in this forum others have it that way too.

I just want to know now if I update the version will I need to remove the registry keys from the RUN folder.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 05:07:32 PM »
I only removed the registry keys that are in the RUN folder not the entire programs registry entries.
I think this entry C:\ ... \Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe is needed for correct update.

These are only entires for running Avast at boot up. and I have disabled the services as well.
Why? Do you have any other antivirus in your system?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:14:10 PM »
I too have to ask why you would want to run avast this way, by crippling it in this way you leave yourself vulnerable unless we have asked a number of times your are running another AV also?

Yes there is a likelihood that future updated may restore missing avast registry entries, but i don't know this for sure as I have never run avast in this way.

BeaverHunter

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »
No I'm not running any other Anti-Virus software on my computer.  When I had norton on my computer I ran it the same way.  I don't like anything running in the back ground and I only have 15 processes running at a fresh boot.

It just frees up system memory and makes the computer more responsive.

If you don't open email attachments without Manually scanning them before doing so then you wont get a virus.  I don't download P2P, but I have before and I'm careful of the files I open.

My background is in IT and Networking.

Thanks for your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »
I don't like anything running in the back ground
Well, you're not in favor of antivirus as I can see...
Working in backgruond is essential to security.

If you don't open email attachments without Manually scanning them before doing so then you wont get a virus.  I don't download P2P, but I have before and I'm careful of the files I open.
I think this is not enough nowadays... Just the http traffic while browsing could mess your computer with malware.
email is not anymore the most ofter way to be infected.
The best things in life are free.