Author Topic: Kerio is finally back!  (Read 24398 times)

justin1278

Kerio is finally back!
« on: December 23, 2005, 02:05:04 AM »
Sunbelt has finished the Kerio buyout. You can download the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall at
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Sunbelt has not changed much about the firewall except the name. I think they fixed the interface glitch because I haven't had it yet.

Note: If you have an Older Version of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall you should uninstall it before installing the Sunbelt version.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:16:25 AM by justin1278 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Kerio is finally back!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:49:07 AM »
They have also changed the price of the full version: now under ten quid ($14.95) for a limited time.

Cheap as chips!

Sadly, avast! pro at almost $50 reamains too expensive for me to justify.

Maybe a special offer on avast! would bring in some more cash?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »
why You need avast! pro version ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:06:53 AM »
I don't. I'd just like to support Alwil. New virus analysts don't work for nothing!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 11:39:29 AM »
We have also hired new sales people, to be more precise... ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 11:46:02 AM »
I don't. I'd just like to support Alwil. New virus analysts don't work for nothing!

I think you don't have to worry about that...

But if alwil would drop the prices for avast pro! a little that would be cool cause the current prices are really too much IMHO.

TAP

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »
But if alwil would drop the prices for avast pro! a little that would be cool cause the current prices are really too much IMHO.

I agree with you.

For many developing countries in Asia (like my country), the current price of avast! Pro (39.95 USD) is really too much for us. When the salary of bachelor's degree is about 230 USD/month so most of us can't afford avast! Pro (39.95 USD) for sure.

I think if Alwil wants to sell avast! Pro (through local reseller) for home users in poor-developing countries in Asia so Alwil HAVE TO drop the price for avast Pro a little.

Eset already drops the price for NOD32 in my country so local reseller can sell NOD32 for home users only about 6.5 USD and I'd say legal NOD32 license is more and more popular in my country while many people use illegal avast! Pro.  :-\

I have my own computer repair shop and I used to think to become avast! reseller but I think I don't do that because avast! Pro's price can't compete to NOD32's price so all I have to do for my beloved avast! is that set up a dedicated website in my language to promote avast! Home Edition for home users.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 12:33:44 PM by TAP »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 12:37:50 PM »
While many people use illegal avast! Pro.  :-\
I won't believe on this... just try to download any P2P pirated version of avast and you'll see you can't update. At least, almost last week, there isn't an available working pirated Pro version key in the web  8)

All I have to do for my beloved avast! is that set up a dedicated website in my language to promote avast! Home Edition for home users.  :)
I've asked a lot of times to them... without a final answer... Why don't we receive a stripped version of the website for translation?
The best things in life are free.

TAP

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »
While many people use illegal avast! Pro.  :-\
I won't believe on this... just try to download any P2P pirated version of avast and you'll see you can't update. At least, almost last week, there isn't an available working pirated Pro version key in the web  8)

Ohhh, I hope it's true.

But according to many local software forum in my country I've always seen people use/ask for illegal avast! Pro, it seems to me that novice people always think that avast! Home (free) can't catch virus so well and inferior to avast! Pro (shareware) and I think they happy to use avast! Pro than Home even they don't know how to use many options in avast! Pro.

And when someone wants to purchase antivirus software, I think 98% of them go to NOD32 because it's very very cheap as I said.  :-\

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 01:33:30 PM »
And when someone wants to purchase antivirus software, I think 98% of them go to NOD32 because it's very very cheap as I said.  :-\

Like me ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 01:50:11 PM »
Yep TAP & ReVaN,

That is why they should have a regional pricing strategy. If you earn dollars you can spend dollars, but you have to sell hamburgers at hamburger value. Going to the hairdressers in Amsterdam is more expensive than going there in Moscow.
There could also be special packet or bundle arrangements, like Penicillin did in the past, came included with a new install. I also saw a lot of Xmas rebates as to 35% off for the Season (Ad-Aware pro), you could also think of an upgrade version at 40% less expensive as the full new version. Benefit you have people accustomed to using the free Avast and let them upgrade to a Pro Version as a bonus for staying with the product. But I am not an AV product seller, I am just an enthusiast end-user. Thanks heaven that Avast has chosen the ZoneAlarm model, living from the business versions and let the home user have a reliable fullfletched solid security product. I like this philosophy very much.

polonus
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:57:45 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 04:12:29 AM »
because I'm just lone :) my best support to Alwil is that i recommend theirs products to my partners and customers ...

and of course ... i spread the word about to world :)))

i want to see what new system Alwil brings for suspicious files submission :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 03:54:56 AM »
Sunbelt has finished the Kerio buyout. You can download the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall at
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

On Sunbelt Kerio's website (the link above) a review is recommended. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1864604,00.asp

Of the cons for Kerio is that it is "Fairly easily disabled by malicious software".  The other firewalls in that review also are able to be disabled by malicious software except ZoneAlarm.  ZA couldn't be disabled.  Some put down ZA freeware because it fails the infamous "tool leaky" test.  I have never had a problem with anything getting by the "tool leaky" leak, but I got a pop up from ZA that said someone or something was trying to disable ZA (not exact words).  ZA Free held strong!  My computer was safe.

This one for Paul Harvey to tell.  The Rest of the Story

Umath

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:54 AM »
The point of the article on ZA's dealing with port 113 at GRC is that ZA deals with packets more flexibly than Kerio does.  Kerio deals with packets statically, which makes it venerable to packet attacks once targeted.

I once even saw Kerio shut down in front of me when I was listening to BBC radio streaming.  For some reason, at times, BBC site keeps sending numerous packets at a port with a random huge number, which seems to be useless since I can listen to the radio stream even when Kerio is totally blocking the port.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 05:22:04 AM »
The point of the article on ZA's dealing with port 113 at GRC is that ZA deals with packets more flexibly than Kerio does.  Kerio deals with packets statically, which makes it venerable to packet attacks once targeted.

I once even saw Kerio shut down in front of me when I was listening to BBC radio streaming.  For some reason, at times, BBC site keeps sending numerous packets at a port with a random huge number, which seems to be useless since I can listen to the radio stream even when Kerio is totally blocking the port.

I've noticed exactly the same thing and that really makes me wonder... So far, best possible solution(s) at this moment are Comodo personal firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s