Author Topic: AEA will not uninstall Enpoint Protection...  (Read 6101 times)

REDACTED

AEA will not uninstall Enpoint Protection...
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
So I was recently advised by our Avast Rep that we should migrate to the business.avast.com portal and work on abandoning the AEA console. So, step one was to uninstall Endpoint Protection in order to prep for pushing out the Business solution MSI through GPO.

Unfortunately, uninstalling via the console is simply removing our licensing information and not actually uninstalling the program. With over 4000 computers running Endpoint Protection, I am now looking at manually uninstalling this on every machine.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or is there a fix for it so that I do not have to touch every machine manually?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:30:08 PM by VincentArriola »

REDACTED

Re: AEA will not uninstall Enpoint Protection...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »
I had the same issue with trying to uninstall with the Console. I was able to find the uninstall command in the registry that is run when you click in add/remove programs and after experimenting with it was able to get a command that would uninstall it silently this afternoon after removing password and self protection in the settings in the AEA. This works with 8.0.1603 on windows 7 64 bit so it may need adjustment if your have a different version.
"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business\aswRunDll.exe" "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Business\Setup\setiface.dll" RunSetup /uninstall /verysilent
After the command completes the machines need to be rebooted to finish the removal.

The problem I have now is when I push the new installer out to them after I reboot, it installs but doesn't register the device in the web console unless the computer has a user account logged in during the install. The only fix I have come up with is to re-run the installer after logging in. A bit of a pain but not as bad as having to do the uninstall/re-install manually on all of the network.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
Well, I ended up finding that installing the new version over-the-top of the existing one worked.
We deployed via GPO with the prepackaged .msi they sent me. No problems with activation or anything....so far.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
Where did you get the msi from? I'm only seeing the option to download an exe installer so that may be part of my issue. When I run that without uninstalling the old version first I get the same issue I do with installing it without anyone logged in, the program installs and seems to be running correctly but doesn't register in the web portal for me.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:59:05 AM »
I spoke with their support and asked if there was a way to get an MSI built. About a week later they had one ready for me.

Also, just a random thought here; being that the web console is handled off-site.... is it possible that the communication from the avast client to the web-console is being blocked by your firewall/content filter? If you install the avast business solution at home, does it register in the webconsole?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:52:12 AM by VincentArriola »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
So I was recently advised by our Avast Rep that we should migrate to the business.avast.com portal and work on abandoning the AEA console.

I was also told this by my rep and it turns out they are working on an EDU roll out for June/July. So currently we do not have access to all the features in the business.avast.com portal. For example they just rolled out scheduled tasks, that is not available to EDU customers.

I'm now being told to go back to the AEA console.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
So I was recently advised by our Avast Rep that we should migrate to the business.avast.com portal and work on abandoning the AEA console.

I was also told this by my rep and it turns out they are working on an EDU roll out for June/July. So currently we do not have access to all the features in the business.avast.com portal. For example they just rolled out scheduled tasks, that is not available to EDU customers.

I'm now being told to go back to the AEA console.

That's slightly concerning.....I do not want to roll out ANOTHER version of the software. Hopefully they can transfer my current license/devices to the new dashboard when it launches.