Author Topic: Frozen Computer after starting Microsoft Word 97  (Read 13594 times)

iceydragon

Frozen Computer after starting Microsoft Word 97
« on: November 27, 2003, 07:34:22 PM »
When I start up Microsoft Word 97, the computer just totally freezes up. I know it is something to do with the avast! On Access Scanner because when I dont have it run on startup, Word starts fine. The Word window goes gray but doesnt come up with the white paper sheet. Please can u help!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Frozen Computer after starting Microsoft Word 97
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 07:48:27 PM »
A few questions:
What OS do you use?
What are your settings of the Standard Shield provider?
Does it help if you pause the provider? (if not, does it help when you stop the provider?)
Strange question maybe, but does anything happen when you wait a while (let's say 3-5 minutes) when it's "frozen"?

iceydragon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 08:51:12 PM »
Ok answers to ur questions.
1) I am using Microsoft Windows ME
2) Standard Shield is set to High
3) No on neither account, only works if I totally stop it running as an application. (as I said, its ok when i stop it on startup).
4) I have left it and nothing happens, it just stays frozen, with the egg timer, the egg timer can still be moved however but I cant access anything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 01:43:14 AM »
2) Standard Shield is set to High

Do you try, as Igor said, to disable some protections itens as the 'Scan OLE documents on open' for instance?

3) No on neither account, only works if I totally stop it running as an application. (as I said, its ok when i stop it on startup).

What exactly did you do? How you 'stop it on startup', what's that?

A friend of mine has Windows Me with XP Office and everything goes fine with avast!  :-\
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 03:21:12 AM »
icey,

Please check these settings for me:
Standard Shield....Customize.....Blocker.
You should not have any checks under Blocked Operations.
If you do, remove them.

Also, for now, lower the SS level to Normal and try again.

Lastly, shut down Avast, and open up Word97.  If you have a resource meter, open it up in the tray, (or similar monitor to desktop).
See what the GDI and System resources appear.

I want to ascertain if we may have a system resource allocation problem.

thanks,
techie

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 10:42:22 AM »
I just tried avast 4.1.304 with Word 97 on Windows ME, and I don't see anything wrong.

So, a few more questions:
1. You are using the latest build of avast! (b. 304), right?
2. Did you change some other settings of the Standard Shield (such as turning on the "Display of detailed info on performed action"?
3. If you run a scan on your hard drives (or in particular, the drive with your system and office installation, macros, documents, etc.), no viruses are found, right?
4. How do you disable avast so that the problem disappear? You remove ashServ.exe from the auto-start registry key?
5. Does the "freeze" occur every time you try, or just sometimes?
6. What other programs are running at the time you try (i.e. what programs/tools are automatically started when your Windows start)?
7. If you start Windows, select "Stop on-access protection and exit" from the system tray avast icon, and then start Word, does it help?

iceydragon

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 03:23:40 PM »
Ok, i tried disabling OLE documents and it didnt work. I stopped it on startup by going into msconfig and disabling it, so it wont run on startup. (The ashserv.exe program). I have tried readjusting settings and that hasnt worked. Although one thing I found funny was I could not find the ashserv program in the Close Program dialog box, although I dont no whther it is suppose to be there anyway. and answers to the questions
1) Yes, latest build
2) I did accidently change all settings to high once but then moved it back to normal. Anything I have tried however doesnt seem to do anything.
3) Um yes there was. One called Win32.Mapson-D [Wrm]. I checked into this and it had something to do with disabling certain antivirus programs.
4) As i said, from the msconfig option by typing in msconfig in the run dialog box.
5) Everytime I try it freezes
6) I had no programs running, but I only need to disable ashserv.exe and Word 97 works fine. (List of startup programs are in the file.)
7) Oh I have tried that one, no help whatsoever. I can disable all the shields and it still wont work.

P.S What version of Word 97 was you using because mine is from Works Suite 99 OEM and Works is what it says, it works fine. Word 97 is from that CD and not from Office 97 or any other Works Suite etc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 06:43:39 PM »
Oh, you have Norton Personal Firewall...
I'm afraid it will be not compatible with avast!  :'(

Do you have Norton Antivirus too? Have you ever installed it in your computer (even in the past)?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

iceydragon

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 08:15:12 PM »
Yes I had Norton Antivirus 2002 but I uninstalled it. I have taken off Personal Firewall as well because I have switched to ZoneAlarm. Does this have compatibility issues with Avast as well?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 08:42:02 PM »
Hm, than you should post a Hijackthis log:
You can download the programm here:  http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
Download,  unzip and start the Exefile. Press "scan", "save log",  after saving it, post the content(via copy/paste) of the Editor-windows, which will appear.
MfG Ralf

iceydragon

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 08:46:54 PM »
Ok, thnx for that, i will try it and see.

iceydragon

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 09:00:08 PM »
Ok, i have the log file here as a .txt (because obviously i cant upload.log files)

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 09:40:52 PM »
There is nothing special(only standard "crap"!;) ), if you use a internal HSPwin Modem. If not test the ptsnoop.exe here:  http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html

You could disable some of the startups, but i do not think that they are responsible for your Office Problem.

BTW: Tried to temporary rename the normal.dot?

MfG Ralf

iceydragon

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 09:59:27 PM »
Ok, I tried renaming Normal.dot to no avail. I have an internal HSP modem but I still viruschecked it and it was clean.
 :'( This is really gettin depressing now, cant find a soloution except to stop avast On access scanner (ashserv.exe). :'(

techie101

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 12:03:55 AM »
icey,

I was reading back over your posts.  I know you said you uninstalled Norton, but the screenshot still showed Norton keys.  You need to remove the registry key entries as well.

Run both Diskscan and Defrag as an extra measure.

Have you thought about uninstalling and reinstalling Avast?
I don't always recommend this measure, but when no other solution is forthcoming, you might as well try it.  Yes?

I had asked you to check system resources (GDI and System) but you never answered my post.

This may be a long shot, but let's check for macro viruses which might not show in a virus scan.

Open Word...tools...macros...See if any macros that you did not set up are shown in the box.
Check for these:
AutoClose
AutoExec
AutoOpen
FileExit
FileNew
FileOpen
FileSave
FileSaveAs
Macros
ToolsMacro
If any of the above are present, it is indicative of macro virus.

I can only help if you provide information I need for my thought process.
(as confused as I can be at times. hahaha)

techie
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:24:44 AM by techie101 »