Author Topic: Multi-layer security app mix  (Read 9388 times)

CharleyO

Re: Multi-layer security app mix
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 09:01:24 PM »

Hannu ... you really should update to SP2 as the early problems with it have been solved. I have had no problem with SP2 since installing XP SP2 on this new computer 3 months ago. Then you will be even more secure!    :)

Spiritsongs

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005, 09:45:47 PM »
 :) ReVaN & other Interested Persons :

In regards to Spybot Updates, at times, "disabling" some
    items in SpywareBlaster, I got the following from one of
    their Advisor Team Members on 10-29-05 :

"If you do a Spybot > Immunize > "Undo" followed by an "immunize" there are 12 restricted zone entries that show up as unprotected in SpywareBlaster. This is because Spybot adds the sites to the restricted zone at a different level than SpywareBlaster does. I published the actual entries at one time in the net-integration.net forums, but I don't remember what they are.

If you use multiple products that add entries to the registry for sypware protection and undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.  __________________  "

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005, 09:51:51 PM »
"If you do a Spybot > Immunize > "Undo" followed by an "immunize" there are 12 restricted zone entries that show up as unprotected in SpywareBlaster.

Haha you're right!I just tried it out and it's exactly like you said.Well thanks for the info!

Cheers

Mikey

don1p2

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 03:44:06 AM »
simliar problem seen when installling IE-Spyads, its best to use one program to add restricted sites (or activeX block lists etc):

"Here's what's happening: as of this writing, there are a few problems with invalid entries or outdated items in the Restricted sites lists used by Spybot and SpywareBlaster. Those invalid and outdated entries are removed? during the installation of IE-SPYAD and not replaced. Spybot and SpywareBlaster will report that these invalid or outdated "items" or protections have been disabled."

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/res/ie-spyad.txt

Absolutely correct Stevejrc. I use Ie-spyad but I disable the Restricted Sites Protection In SpywareBlaster
(0nly use active-X and cookie blockers) and I don't Immunize using my Spybot and its smooth sailing.

BTW to all....At last update ,Ie-spyad just passed the 16000 mark in Restricted Sites ,almost 4 times more then SpywareBlaster. Good Stuff!

Hannu

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 04:08:11 PM »

Hannu ... you really should update to SP2 as the early problems with it have been solved. I have had no problem with SP2 since installing XP SP2 on this new computer 3 months ago. Then you will be even more secure!    :)

Maybe... But I have only  2,72GB free space on my C drive (C drive is 9GB big). Microsoft recommends (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx) that SP2 needs about 2GB free space on hard drive during installation process... Would it slow down computer if there is not enough free space on C drive?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:32:06 PM by Hannu »