Author Topic: Does AMS5 still provide resident AV protection?  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Erebus

Does AMS5 still provide resident AV protection?
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:43:27 AM »
I have asked this a few times now, but does AMS5 still have resident AV protection or do anything to protect our devices?

Does it still scan apps on installation or update?

Does its still protect browsing?

Do we need to get a third party app for AV protection now or buy something else from Avast?

The app now is very confusing and appears (note, I said, appears) to be little more than a colourful wrapper for adverts and links to Avast premium apps.

Is it still an antivirus app?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Does AMS5 still provide resident AV protection?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »
Hi,

it does scan all apps on installation and on update.

It still protects your browsing in the supported browser (there is a slight change on Android 6 where you need to enable support in system Settings app, but don't worry, you'll be notified by AMS if that's your case).

It still scans files as you download them or otherwise put them on your device (apart from the OS version where this is broken, see https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189231 for more details if you want).

Filip

Offline Erebus

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »
So, I will try one more time. Does it still offer Antivirus resident protection? Is it still an antivirus app?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
Yes, it is.

Filip

Offline Erebus

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Yes, it is.

Filip

Thank you. I really hope that is the case, Filip. Perhaps one day the real reasons for what has happened to the app  will become apparent, and perhaps even why it was done so secretively and almost in contempt of those who have used and trusted the app for years. I appreciate that you have to tow the company line and try to defend what Avast have so alarmingly done. I will never understand why so many companies do this, especially Avast who seem to spend so much time building their name and reputation, to make themselves a laughing stock like this overnight.

Anyway, I will trust the app to protect my phone whilst I research what other options might be available. If Avast ever decide to go back to what they had before I'd be happy to sign up for it.

Such a shame really.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
Actually it wasn't secretive at all. We publicly told there is going to be a new (completely different) version, it was in public beta for approximately 2 months and then for about a month in staged rollout production, starting from 0,5% of the userbase and then increasing steadily to 20%. We just went from 20% to 100% two days ago.

The bad thing is you actually can't provide two sets of resources on Google Play for your production app and the one being in staged rollout so we couldn't provide new screenshots and description to users that would install/update the new version. Once you change it to 100% you can, obviously, change the resources, but then it takes Google Play hours before the changes are in effect.

Filip

Offline Erebus

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
(completely different) version

I think that is the understatement of 2016 so far. The time is ripe now for a new company to build on what Avast used to offer and enjoy the same success that Avast had when it worked hard to protect its users. I hope we do get to see an Android AV app one day like Avast used to offer.

Thanks for the info Filip. I appreciate your time.

Offline LesF

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
Actually it wasn't secretive at all. We publicly told there is going to be a new (completely different) version, it was in public beta for approximately 2 months and then for about a month in staged rollout production, starting from 0,5% of the userbase and then increasing steadily to 20%. We just went from 20% to 100% two days ago.

Sadly busy people with too much faith in your company only ever expected your products to get better,  and personally I didn't have time to monitor the beta stages.
Out of curiosity, how many of your beta testers were happy with the new dumbed-down user interface? 
Did NOBODY raise concerns that they didn't know what was going on with the app, or that it no longer appeared to do even half of what it used to?

Offline Erebus

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:21:21 AM »
Did NOBODY raise concerns that they didn't know what was going on with the app, or that it no longer appeared to do even half of what it used to?

I think that in time to come it will be revealed that there is more to this than meets the eye. A company as big as Avast would not become the laughing stock they are now and risk the reputation and trust it built up over many many years with this juvenile kindergarten AV app without good reason. Money has to be the driving factor, and I am sure the proper app will come back again in some sort of paid format. Alternatively, maybe they just had enough with Android protection and decided to let some more dedicated and professional AV companies carry the torch. Either way, from the outside, it seems on the surface at least, to be a very foolish move.

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
We did a lot of tests with users, we watched carefully all reactions and after more than 8 months of development we've released new app in wide audience. We are aware of some concerns about design, but we are fixing them continuously. It's an iterative process. We wouldn't release new version of our mobile flagship, if we weren't confident in our work.. Really.

We wanted to achive 3 things:
  • Give to all users the same feature set without need of paying the money
  • Simplify user interface (because a lot of users we're confused by complicated user interface
  • Completely rewrite core of AV protection for better performance and easier maintenance in the future

Please be patient, we have to polish some things, add some missing features (as a firewall), etc. . But generally, we offer the same protection as before.

Offline Erebus

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:24 AM »
We did a lot of tests with users

Were any of them adults? :)

Please be patient, we have to polish some things,

Fair enough, but why not leave the working app available and release this new candy wrapper as a beta app for those who want it? Seems crazy to ruin your reputation by removing a good app that worked and offered protection for our devices, with this very hard to describe replacement that appears to do nothing other than bombard us with adverts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:10:22 AM by Erebus »

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
I was/am a beta tester and yes I did make my voice heard about the state of the app. They are fixing and changing things all the time so let's see how it goes.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Erebus

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
I was/am a beta tester and yes I did make my voice heard about the state of the app.

I see. So... can you reveal to us yet that AMS5 is really all just a practical joke and Avast haven't really lost the plot? If the app is really so much in Beta, why the hell was it released in the first place? Aside from the childish look in this Adware version, how can any serious user ever trust that the app still offers serious AV protection? What happened to the programming? Has it been outsourced to a local Kindergarten now?

No, please put us out of our misery and tell us it's all a big practical joke. :)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »
Trust me I wish I could tell you that it's a joke. Even now there are still  problems with it. In Avast account for example it's still showing version 4 as being installed. Some premium menus are greyed out. It's gone to crap and yes I did raise the problems in the beta. Did they listen well not enough to change things before you poor people got the "stable" version.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:01:49 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Erebus

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 11:59:38 PM »
For me it is very hard to understand why such a trusted company like Avast would do this. I guess they got sick of providing the best AV products. It is actually quite sad though for a company to work so hard on a reputation only to ruin it overnight like this. Most people I talk to believe the Mobile app is itself nothing more than Adware that has infected their devices in some sort of global scam.

There has to be some underlying reason for what they have done.