Author Topic: Spinning avast icon in taskbar...?  (Read 6042 times)

Little bird

Spinning avast icon in taskbar...?
« on: December 23, 2005, 11:31:07 PM »
Hello. I'm fairly new to Avast. I've had the free home version of it installed for a little over 8 months now.
I'm curious though as to why in just the last couple of months, the Avast icon seems to never stop spinning around and around in the taskbar...?
Could somebody here explain why this is happening. Or if I should even bother trying to do anything about it.
Just seems odd is all.
Avast has done a fine job though so far of keeping the computer virus free. and running fine. 
*knocks on wood*

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Spinning avast icon in taskbar...?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 12:55:54 AM »
It is spinning when it is scanning files, lets you know it is working.

The trick is finding out what is causing it to scan, You could switch on the 'Show detailed info on performed action' in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced tab.

This should show you the files it is scanning and give an idea why. What is the sensitivity setting on Standard Shield, High or Normal?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 01:00:14 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:58:38 AM »
The Avast icon seems to never stop spinning around and around in the taskbar...?
If you left click the 'a' blue icon and check the files being scanned by each provider, will it give you a clue about what is happening?
Which files are being scanned?
Which are your security level on Standard Shield? High or Normal?
The best things in life are free.

Little bird

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 12:58:07 AM »
My settings are on high. My webshield is on low. But I dont know what you mean by....
If you left click the 'a' blue icon and check the files being scanned by each provider, will it give you a clue about what is happening?
I kinda get what you are talking about, in that I can see what it is scanning.
But this still doest make much sence for a newbie like myself.
Should I bother trying to rectify the situation?
I reckon I can live with it. as long as it's doing the job, and keeping the computer virus free.
Thanks for the quick responses btw. ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Little bird!    :)

Everything may be ok with your computer and the Avast program, but, the "a" ball does not normally spin all the time. This indicates to me (and probably to the others above) that some file or program is being continuiously accessed. With a little more info, someone might be able to suggest a way to cure this. Can you tell us what file/program is shown to be scanned? Please, do not include personal info, though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
But this still doest make much sence for a newbie like myself.
Sorry not making myself clear...
You can see the last file scanned by each provider. Maybe you can notice which one are keeping avast working all the time...
The best things in life are free.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 06:45:20 AM »
Hi Little Bird, What everyone is trying to tell you is that you should sit there for a few minutes, and keep an eye on those things to see which files keep repeating themselves in the scanner.

It could be something like an automatic updater that is blocked from accessing the internet by your firewall, and it just keeps trying to get out repeatedly.

I have avast! set in "Paranoid Mode," and I also have it set so that all of those aggravating little information bars are always running at the bottom of my screen just so that I can get an idea of what my PC is doing.

I had a similar experience to the one that you are having, and I was able to fix my problem just by seeing those files being scanned over, and over repeatedly.

So it might work for you too Boo! ♥ Wendy